Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just like riding a bike?

I am a newbie at quilting, and I am learning SOOO much as I work and as I search online. Many of the things I learn are little "tips" along the way. My question is, do I need to write these things down, or is it "just like riding a bike" and I will never really forget all these little tips.
    Any good organization ideas for those tips and tricks?
    Thanks a ton

Get you a 3-ring note book and title it "Quilting Tips"...then write down the tips.
    You may want to organize it into sections for ease of locating what you need help with...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    Get you a 3-ring note book and title it "Quilting Tips"...then write down the tips.
    You may want to organize it into sections for ease of locating what you need help with...
    I agree.
    There are so many tips/tricks/hints/ideas as you learn. Some will become almost natural to you, others if you don't use them often you may need to refer to. And if someone asks you about a tip you will have it on hand and be able to help them.

I have several binders -- tips/hints, WIP, completed quilts, quilting diary (behind on), one specifically for Christmas quilts and projects, Patterns and others.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leota
    This is what I do only I get behind a lot :)

I like to add pics or drawings with my notes I have to "SEE" not just visualize what I write down to fully understand the concept! smile:)

Blog Entries
    I have a notebook that I keep by my machine. Anything I need to write down, I write it here. Lots of calculations, like if I'm trying to figure out how many strips to cut for sashing. I'll just write the name of the quilt like 'Sopie, pink princess' and then the calc. Don't know how many times I've referred back to this stuff. Something comes up and I don't cut the strips etc. Also do sketches in here. Just do page by page, no real organization but it's all in one place. When this notebook is full, I'm going to make sure my next one is gridded rather than just lined, for better sketches.

Blog Entries
    The ones you do over and over will become like riding a bike and be something that you can do naturally that just stays with you, but others that you do not use as often you will forget... at least I do lol. So I write them down/print them out/cut them out and put them all together in a notebook/binder so that I have the important tips when I need them. Hope that helps :)

I do the same I also have printer paper that already has the holes in it so if I wanna print out a pattern or a tute it goes right in the binder
    David

Banned
    Blog Entries
    write them down in a notebook you have sectioned off..like binding tip, cutting tips, washing tips, etc....

I finally started a binder last year and I've referred to it dozens of times. I put everything in a sheet protector and organized it by topic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast