Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
just purchased an accuquilt go >

just purchased an accuquilt go

just purchased an accuquilt go

Old 08-13-2011, 06:48 AM

I believe I invented scraps of fabric,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, for some reason I can't turn loose of anything I can cut into a strip or square.
So in my quest for an easier way of cutting my scraps I purchased an accuquilt go. I researched and got the basic that included one 10"x 10" cutting mat with 1 fabric cutting die with six shapes, the 4 1/2 "sq, 21/2" sq., half square 2" sq.
After I started cutting I found I had more scraps from my cut scraps. Even when positioning just for one pattern I was amazed at the waste of fabric.
Now, I'm on a quest for dies that have very little waste;
Anyone with experience using this method of cutting please advise on your recommendations.
I have enough scraps already. :?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:00 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I have the 2 in die that i love... and you need to 'cut' your fabric before your place it it on the die.. you only need to cover the blades not the entire length of the die itself..

Ebony has this awesome website.. check out how she Outlines the dies to eliminate wasted fabric.. and she has some really awesome tutes..

http://quiltpossible.com/

oh yea, buy mats, buy extra mats- they are disposable so to speak, as you will soon find out..
Old 08-13-2011, 07:02 AM

I've been thinking about getting a Go. I'll be watching the responses.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
I have the 2 in die that i love... and you need to 'cut' your fabric before your place it it on the die.. you only need to cover the blades not the entire length of the die itself..

Ebony has this awesome website.. check out how she Outlines the dies to eliminate wasted fabric.. and she has some really awesome tutes..

oh yea, buy mats, buy extra mats- they are disposable so to speak, as you will soon find out..
Thanks for the info! I have put off getting one because I hear and read so much about the wasted fabric.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:55 AM

I love the tumbler and Ebony is right...you only need to cover the blades. little waste. I also use my scraps on the flower dies or other applique dies I have.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:02 AM

I purchased the Go strickly for the applique dies etc. The only applique I do is by fusing and the Go makes that a piece of cake. The only drawback is that you have to put the fusable on the fabric before you cut it out and that does waste some but it sure bears cutting things out by hand. My poor hands are getting wornout. When I first got my machine I cut out a bunch of stuff. Alas it is all still sitting waiting to be appliqued on a quilt. Like most of us I have to many gadgets, projects and fabric to finish everything before I die.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:39 AM

I've checked her blog out, and i do know you have to cut your fabric first and then place it under the pattern you want to cut.
I want to know if you have a 2" die do you cut 1 set of 2 " cuts or does your die have 3 across and 3 down so when you cut you are cutting multiples of the same. not just one 2" die cutting multiple layers?

Old 08-13-2011, 11:39 AM

I've checked her blog out, and i do know you have to cut your fabric first and then place it under the pattern you want to cut.
I want to know if you have a 2" die do you cut 1 set of 2 " cuts or does your die have 3 across and 3 down so when you cut you are cutting multiples of the same. not just one 2" die cutting multiple layers?

Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 AM

I also wonder if this cutter was mfg by some textile maker, like some pattern makers that inflate the yardage needed to make a project.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:43 PM

I have very little waste when I am using my cutter. I just make sure that I place the edges right outside the blades.