Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just purchased a Long arm Gracie (king) quilt frame with a mid (9") arm..... oh dear! >

Just purchased a Long arm Gracie (king) quilt frame with a mid (9") arm..... oh dear!

Just purchased a Long arm Gracie (king) quilt frame with a mid (9") arm..... oh dear!

Old 08-22-2012, 02:39 AM

oh i hope you enjoy your set up. i have that same thing but i dont have the big frame.
but i could add it if i wanted too. but the 1600p. runs so nice. i do have the stitch regulator
and i do really like that. enjoy it is fun. to practice on i just put two pieces of older fabric
with batting inbetween and went to town practice. when i bought the machine the guy
told me to only use superior thread 50wt. and that is all i have used with no trouble.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:55 AM

Does your table also have the option of half size? Mine is the Imperial and I can set it up at half the size and thats about all you can do with a 9in throat machine anyway.
You got a bargain, mine ran $1800 with a Baby Lock Jane machine.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 AM

Rose Marie, honestly, I have no idea yet Hopefully, it will get to come home monday and we can all find out! If it can be set up at half size that would be great, I'll just have to watch the size of quilts I make until we find a new place.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 AM

If your not a creative person and trust me there's nothing wrong with that! I'm crafty not artsy, I use panographs and I love the way they turn out great even being a newbie!!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pungogal View Post
congrats on you purchase. any machine on a free motion frame is tecnically considered a long arm.
No this is not true. It is the throat space of the machine that signifies what is considered a short, medium or longarm. The fact that the machine is mounted on a frame does not make it a longarm, it just makes it a machine mounted on a carriage and rack system. The measurement designations I have seen are anything with a throat greater than 18" is considered a longarm, 9 to 18" is considered midarm and anything less is a shortarm or domestic machine. However, many manufacturers play fast and loose with naming vs measurement. I have seen many 18" throats referred to as LA. Point is, a machine on a rack is not what designates a longarm.

To the OP, congratulations on a great deal and a wonderful new toy. The only suggestions I can offer is don't be afraid to use it and don't be afraid to try the hardest thing you can. I draw A LOT to get muscle memory. So doodle any opportunity you have. If you want to quilt feathers, draw feathers. Don't be concerned that not every single loop is the same size, only a computer can do that. Have fun and enjoy the trip.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:22 PM

Great find for you!
Old 08-30-2012, 04:11 PM

It's all set up I even have a top on it after a bit of practicing a stipple. Need lots more practice but since extra fabric and batting that I'm willing to throw out are non existant we'll learn as we go
[ATTACH=CONFIG]359103[/ATTACH]

Loving it so far, now if I can figure out how to tell the cats it is NOT a new bed for them!!!
Attached Thumbnails dsc02941.jpg  
Old 08-30-2012, 04:15 PM
Google Goddess

Congratulations, love seeing the picture, You go girl
Old 08-30-2012, 04:51 PM

My cat tore up the batting I had on the rollers with my quilt. Had to take the whole thing off and throw away the batting.
He even tore up the middle of it.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:37 PM

Congrats on getting it set up! I have a Next Generation frame with the Pfaff and it's still sitting in my garage waiting for me to set it up. It's on my to do list, but I haven't had much time lately. I'm so glad to hear you're able to use it so quickly!