Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kenmore 358 can you fm on this machine? >

Kenmore 358 can you fm on this machine?

Kenmore 358 can you fm on this machine?

Old 01-25-2015, 12:23 AM

Default Kenmore 358 can you fm on this machine?

I've been trying to learn how to free motion on my kenmore but haven't done a very good job. Need to fm motion a half of yard for a project at the EXPO at Oshkosh Wi. Something simple for a real new begginer. Any suggestions or help would would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 01-25-2015, 12:50 AM

Can you drop the feed dogs on your machine? If not, then I'd suggest you cover them with tape. This will help your fabric move better. Set your stitch length to '0' and you'll need a special embroidery/darning foot. You may also have to adjust your tension several times.

Once you've done this, then it's a matter of practice, practice, practice I'm afraid.

When I first started to FMQ, the teacher told me 'the faster the better', referring to foot pedal pressure and it seemed to work for me. (I've since learned to slow down and develop a bit more control, lol). There's lots of YouTube videos to help you too. Here's a link to a beginners tutorial.

Good Luck!
Old 01-25-2015, 06:51 AM

I second everything Knitette said! I have a Kenmore (not sure of the model though) and I am still trying to do 'nice' FMQ. It does really come down to practice. Sounds like you are starting with a smaller piece. That will help as you will be able to move the piece as needed. The most important thing is to have the darning foot with the clear end, not the metal end. This will help you see where you've already stitched and where you still need to go!
I saw on the board once someone said FMQ was the same as writing, but instead of moving the pencil you move the paper to make letters. This is exactly right. You can do it!
Old 01-25-2015, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by mary r View Post
I've been trying to learn how to free motion on my kenmore but haven't done a very good job. Need to fm motion a half of yard for a project at the EXPO at Oshkosh Wi. Something simple for a real new begginer. Any suggestions or help would would be appreciated. Thank you
I use a Kenmore 385 to do my free motion quilting with monofilament thread. I set the stitch length to zero and use a free motion foot. I don't even have to adjust the tension for the monofilament thread. It does a good job. I don't drop the feed dogs but it wouldn't hurt anything if I did.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:52 AM

I think my 35-year-old Kenmore is a 385 and I free-motion quilt all of my quilts. Drop the feed dogs, set stitch length to zero. I use either monofilament or plain white cotton thread and have no problems at all doing meanders or stipples.