Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: can you get a kenmore computerized to do FMQ?

can you get a kenmore computerized to do FMQ?

I got a Kenmore digital from sears.Great warenty and I used a gift card. However I have read the manual cover to cover bought the special foot and I can't get the feed dog low enough! Does anyone have some advice?
    don't stop!just keep trying and something usable will turn out!!

Which model machine did you get? Can you drop the feed dogs, or did it come with a plate that you slip over the feed dogs so they don't engaged with your fabric?
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

What's your model number? I have a Kenmore Ergo3 model 190002. On my machine, I find I do not need to drop the feed dogs or cover them. With the darning foot, I can do free motion quilting with no problems.

yes the feed dogs drop but not low enough. my model #385.19233. and I don't have a darning foot. they said get a quilting foot so thats what I got. I'll get a darning foot!!!!thankyou maybe thats my problem!!

Set your stitch length to "0" and the feed dogs should not engage the fabric. I never drop my feed dogs when I FMQ, just lower my stitch length.
    The Trike Riding Quilting Diva

Blog Entries
    the "darning" foot is essential because it has a spring on the shaft which helps keep the fabric in place the split second the needle is in the fabric. no broken needles that way. have fun!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    I've read recommendations to tape a business card over the feed dogs for fmq on a machine where they don't drop. Just be sure to cut a hole in the card for the needle to go through!
    Sue

thanks!!! have ordered a darning foot meanwhile the business card didn't work. May be I need a plastic one not the paper one I used? Will try the 0 stitch length tommorow. There have been just too too many interupptions today! tommorrow I just won't answer the phone OR the door!!

I have the Kenmore 19233, and use the darning foot, with the feed dogs lowered, and it works fine - I just need to practice, practice, practice my FMQ!