Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kind of a strange quilting question-HELP! >

Kind of a strange quilting question-HELP!

Kind of a strange quilting question-HELP!

Old 10-16-2015, 04:13 AM

This is not hard to do with zippers on a roll. The zipper tape is quite wide so you can sew the zipper onto the edge of quilt by stitching in the ditch along the binding. The zipper lays flat like a sweater or jacket zipper. This method is lots better than Velcro in this kind of application.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:16 AM

Jeanne S do you mean like the zipper in some jackets--there is a piece on the inside that goes behind the zipper when closed. In this case, it would go on the front of the quilt. I could see that--make the top with sashing and then you could use the same colour zipper and overlap two sashing pieces in the center. Hmmm...interesting.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:29 AM

A metal zipper will feel weird while in use,and it must be a "separating " one...it's hard to find in plastic in a long length and color match. lt can best be hidden along a line of sashing at or near the center of the quilt.lf it was me, l'd go with velcro. Purchase an extra strip of the soft side to place over the hard side while in the laundry so it doesn't catch.Not losing & remembering to use that extra strip may prove difficult.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:32 AM

Quilterpurple, the zipper must separate. The kind on a roll remains joined at the bottom...no use here.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Jeanne S do you mean like the zipper in some jackets--there is a piece on the inside that goes behind the zipper when closed. In this case, it would go on the front of the quilt. I could see that--make the top with sashing and then you could use the same colour zipper and overlap two sashing pieces in the center. Hmmm...interesting.
Ginger, your method could work too, but my thought was just a plain separating zipper (yes like in jackets that the sides fully separate apart) connected on each side of the two quilts without that inside piece you reference. My "tab" thought was just to have an extra piece of fabric to sew the zipper tape onto and then into the back binding edge of the quilt. Think of a bridge strip between the zipper tape and the quilt. Seems like it would be hard to sew a zipper directly onto the quilt itself. I also don't know how hard it would be to find a long separating zipper!
Old 10-16-2015, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bullock2us View Post
I suggested making a large one and taking it to the laundromat to wash on their big washes but I guess that is a no go. Anyone have any ideas how you would do this? Thanks
I AGREE with your suggestion. But run the advice given above and see if anything will work for her.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Goodness her solution is bigger then the problem.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:29 AM

What about Buttons... Add an extra strip of fabric to one side and add button holes, put the buttons on the other side. When buttoned together, it would look like a row of decorative buttons down the middle. It could be decorative as well as functional...
Old 10-16-2015, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by bernamom View Post
What about Buttons... Add an extra strip of fabric to one side and add button holes, put the buttons on the other side. When buttoned together, it would look like a row of decorative buttons down the middle. It could be decorative as well as functional...
This is a GREAT idea! and it eliminates the need to find a long separating zipper!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:12 AM

The upholstery suppliers have the separating zippers they can cut to the length you want. Worth a try.