Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: strange question I have

but have you ever said to your family all this stuff if worth a lot of money so be thoughtful what happens to if something happens to me? I am always telling my family this so they know not to just pitch the stuff. Especially my treadle

Blog Entries
    Bad as this may sound, most of my (numerous) machines have been labeled with their information and value. I am now working on labeling all the other larger pricer items. This may take the remainder of my life time...LOL.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Yes i have said similar things to my family. I told my DD that if she doesn't want it then to donate it all, do not throw a single thing away. I also told her that if she wanted to, to come on here and offer it for the cost of shipping.

I've told my children that what's in my sewing room is their inheritance.....if they don't want it, and throw it away they get nothing. If they sell it, they have their fortune!!!! :) :)

That is a good idea to make an inventory with values, be sure to date it too. Take good pictures of the item. Put it it with your will and important papers.

I was an Antiques Appraiser and ran Estate Sales. I can tell you many stories about families who didn't care or maybe didn't know what they were having me sell. When I found things that were marked, (which were few) I always asked if it was something they wanted to keep because the owner cared enough to mark it.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I've been sewing since my oldest son was a baby so my kids know that my stuff is to be used or given to the right sources :D
    My one son is getting married to a girl who sews. That's a good start! lol

My sons might not realize how valuable my quilting collection is, but my friends do, and they are who will help decide what will go where...nothing will be thrown out unless it really is garbage...there is almost always someone who will take what you are giving away.

Haven't had that discussion but then again I think I'm still 25 and have a zillion years left.

But it would be a good idea to have the discussion. My husband isn't really a pitcher, but my son would be.

Oh, it's been discussed! And I'm 38! My mom is no fool about these things, if I die before her. My kids already talk about whose getting which FW and which Bernina...

Absolutely. My daughter knows what to do with my things.....just in case.

I have a neice that sews and a DL too so they will get it all!!

I have to make a new Will for a number of reasons and I am going to add in something for ALL my quilting things. None of my family are craft orientated although they all love my quilts and I don't want to see expensive or loved quilting machines going to a home "may be useful for stitching curtain or Jeans hems!" and that piece of fabric could make a nice cushion. So I am going to leave it IN TOTAL to the Local Head of Project Linus to distribute where it will be most useful and appreciated.

I think this is something that all of us quilters should think about as I read a rather sad story, on this forum, about one of the members had got a wonderful stack of fabrics which the family didn't want from a garage sale of a departed quilter, it looked as tho' there was enough to fill a warehouse no family needs that task to handle IMO.

Blog Entries
    Yes, my daughter and I have talked about my things. She finds it hard to listen at times, but I think I am getting through to her. I told her what my new machine just cost, but she said she would probably just keep the FW as that is the only one she even attempted to sew on. My MIL had a general type will, but she had marked a lot of her "special to her" items as to the age and who should have it.

Blog Entries
    At our quilting quild that had a Quilters Pledge for us to give our family. It was like a note that said, Please Call the guild if ever Bonnie dies and they will come take all of ther sewing things if they are not wanted by the family.........I thought that was a good idea, since we do alot of charity work............
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosta
    but have you ever said to your family all this stuff if worth a lot of money so be thoughtful what happens to if something happens to me? I am always telling my family this so they know not to just pitch the stuff. Especially my treadle
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

I doen't matter what it's worth...I'm takin' it with me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanneb52
    I'd like to do that too-sign me up!
    I don't worry, my daughter sews and I have 2 sisters that sew and multiple cousins..I told my DH to get out of the way, cuz they all want my stuff!

I don't know what will happen to my stuff - very few relatives left on my side of the family, but DH is all too aware how much some of my machines are worth, lol.

I have a DD and DIL who sew and quilt with me once a week. So I am lucky in many ways. My "stuff" will be well taken care of after I am gone. LOL

Blog Entries
    My treasures may be someone else's junk. No one sews in my family and won't know the value. My daughter always warns a good friend she is on call when I pass on.

I don't have any family that quilts but I have a daughter who sews. Family first and anything else goes to our church quilt group as I know they will appreciate and use or donate anything that they receive.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanneb52
    Me too--just know there is a quilty group up there. :thumbup:

Ditto! LOL

Blog Entries
    Hope there is a qulter's corner in heaven.

Absolutely. I have things that were my mother's and grandmother's. Some are quite valuable others not so much. I've given my daughter strict instructions not to get rid of anything without finding out what it's worth. I have a Roseville pottery vase that was my grandmother's that's worth over $3,000. I was shocked when I found out and I had it sitting under the sink in the laundry room.

The "value" of anything sold is only what the "value" of it is to the buyer. All things are just that - things. money lets it change hands. So, everything I have is priceless to me and when I die, if I havent passed it on to someone who values as I do Im sure it will end up in the trash! lol I have to get rid of it before I hit my deathbed. sharet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast