Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strange Bargello question... >

Strange Bargello question...

Strange Bargello question...

Old 12-19-2015, 03:32 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Dina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,478
Default Strange Bargello question...

I am in the process of sewing strips together to make a "sort of" self-designed rainbow Bargello. This is my tenth or eleventh Bagello, but an idea just came to me as I am "creating" the strip set. The strip set will look like striped material. Is it possible to make a sort of "fake" Bargello by using striped material...instead of sewing the strips together?

I just went and looked at Fabric.com, and I saw lots of striped fabric that might be fun to use for this idea. It certainly wouldn't be a real Bargello, but now I am wondering if anyone has tried this idea.

(Since the first thing you do is "create" your own fabric....couldn't you start with fabric that is already stripes? Of course, it wouldn't have 10 different shades of the same color...but it could still be interesting....the Bargello I am making now is going to be a rainbow-type thing, and I have seven different rainbow colors in a row. I saw some fabric that had just that.)

So, has anyone heard of anything like this? Just curious and wondering how my brain came up with this idea...

Dina
Dina is offline  
Old 12-19-2015, 03:57 PM
  #2  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,235
Default

There was a class at my LQS where they made a bargello from ombre fabric, in addition to a strata so I don't see why not. You have to be careful when cutting the non strata portion to keep the seam allowance where you want it.
I have the book "Bargello Tapestry Quilts" which tells you how to design and construct bargellos. Very informative.
http://www.amazon.com/Bargello-Tapes...lo+quilt+books
PaperPrincess is offline  
Old 12-19-2015, 04:35 PM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tn
Posts: 4,261
Default

When I get to the corners or intersection I clip into the corner on a diagonal
cjsews is online now  
Old 12-19-2015, 07:50 PM
  #4  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Dina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,478
Default

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
There was a class at my LQS where they made a bargello from ombre fabric, in addition to a strata so I don't see why not. You have to be careful when cutting the non strata portion to keep the seam allowance where you want it.
I have the book "Bargello Tapestry Quilts" which tells you how to design and construct bargellos. Very informative.
http://www.amazon.com/Bargello-Tapes...lo+quilt+books
Yes, I have that book too. It's a good one.

I am going to assume that this idea is sort of worthless, but it was fun thinking about. If I ever experiment with it, I will post whatever I end up with.

Dina
Dina is offline  
Old 12-19-2015, 07:58 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,689
Default

I am about to attempt a two fabric bargello, using an ombre and a bright fabric. The pattern that I have, is for a throw. I want to create a queen sized quilt. I have been thinking about the construction a lot and I admit that I am intimidated. But I truly believe that if you sew the ombre fabrice to the bright fabric to the ombre fabric and then sew the two ombres together to form a huge tube, you should be able to cut the strips and re-sew them forming the bargello. I think it would also be good to sew each strip in the opposite direction as the previous one. And then, at the end (or maybe working in sections) you would make the cut to open the 'tube'.

If anyone has done anything like this, I would love to hear their input because I am very nervous to start this project.
GingerK is offline  
Old 12-19-2015, 07:59 PM
  #6  
Super Member
 
nanacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,507
Default

Here's mine. (If I can get it to post)img_0170.jpg
nanacc is offline  
Old 12-19-2015, 08:03 PM
  #7  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Dina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,478
Default

Nanacc, that is beautiful! Here is what mine will be, I hope. It is drawn on graph paper and my colored pencils aren't dark enough, but I think it will end up looking okay. It will be sky blue between the rainbow things. I have all my strips cut and am about 1/5 finished sewing them together.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8002708.jpg  
Dina is offline  
Old 12-19-2015, 08:08 PM
  #8  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Dina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,478
Default

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I am about to attempt a two fabric bargello, using an ombre and a bright fabric. The pattern that I have, is for a throw. I want to create a queen sized quilt. I have been thinking about the construction a lot and I admit that I am intimidated. But I truly believe that if you sew the ombre fabrice to the bright fabric to the ombre fabric and then sew the two ombres together to form a huge tube, you should be able to cut the strips and re-sew them forming the bargello. I think it would also be good to sew each strip in the opposite direction as the previous one. And then, at the end (or maybe working in sections) you would make the cut to open the 'tube'.

If anyone has done anything like this, I would love to hear their input because I am very nervous to start this project.
I have to admit that I had to google "ombre" fabric because I didn't know what it was. Two of you mentioning forced me to educate myself. I love it. And I think your plan should work.

Dina
Dina is offline  
Old 12-19-2015, 11:17 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
nanacc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,507
Default

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Nanacc, that is beautiful! Here is what mine will be, I hope. It is drawn on graph paper and my colored pencils aren't dark enough, but I think it will end up looking okay. It will be sky blue between the rainbow things. I have all my strips cut and am about 1/5 finished sewing them together.

Dina
Dina, I love your design! I had the Go multi-strip width die and just had to try it. Made the cutting simple and I wanted a quick baby quilt.
nanacc is offline  
Old 12-20-2015, 06:34 AM
  #10  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,131
Default

I found these patterns in Robert Kaufman free patterns:

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...s/free/?page=1

Here are the individual patterns I thought you might want to look at Dina:

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...chroma_modern/

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...ellos/#color:1

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin..._with_stripes/

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...gello/#color:1
ManiacQuilter2 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Bullock2us
Main
28
10-17-2015 07:46 PM
Stitch124
Main
72
09-16-2013 07:12 AM
raptureready
General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
15
05-15-2012 10:57 AM
Hosta
Main
60
03-03-2011 07:15 AM
hannahsmom
Main
9
10-06-2009 06:13 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.