Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strange Bargello question... >

Strange Bargello question...

Strange Bargello question...

Old 12-19-2015, 03:32 PM

Default Strange Bargello question...

I am in the process of sewing strips together to make a "sort of" self-designed rainbow Bargello. This is my tenth or eleventh Bagello, but an idea just came to me as I am "creating" the strip set. The strip set will look like striped material. Is it possible to make a sort of "fake" Bargello by using striped material...instead of sewing the strips together?

I just went and looked at Fabric.com, and I saw lots of striped fabric that might be fun to use for this idea. It certainly wouldn't be a real Bargello, but now I am wondering if anyone has tried this idea.

(Since the first thing you do is "create" your own fabric....couldn't you start with fabric that is already stripes? Of course, it wouldn't have 10 different shades of the same color...but it could still be interesting....the Bargello I am making now is going to be a rainbow-type thing, and I have seven different rainbow colors in a row. I saw some fabric that had just that.)

So, has anyone heard of anything like this? Just curious and wondering how my brain came up with this idea...

Dina
Old 12-19-2015, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

There was a class at my LQS where they made a bargello from ombre fabric, in addition to a strata so I don't see why not. You have to be careful when cutting the non strata portion to keep the seam allowance where you want it.
I have the book "Bargello Tapestry Quilts" which tells you how to design and construct bargellos. Very informative.
http://www.amazon.com/Bargello-Tapes...lo+quilt+books
Old 12-19-2015, 04:35 PM

When I get to the corners or intersection I clip into the corner on a diagonal
Old 12-19-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
There was a class at my LQS where they made a bargello from ombre fabric, in addition to a strata so I don't see why not. You have to be careful when cutting the non strata portion to keep the seam allowance where you want it.
I have the book "Bargello Tapestry Quilts" which tells you how to design and construct bargellos. Very informative.
http://www.amazon.com/Bargello-Tapes...lo+quilt+books
Yes, I have that book too. It's a good one.

I am going to assume that this idea is sort of worthless, but it was fun thinking about. If I ever experiment with it, I will post whatever I end up with.

Dina
Old 12-19-2015, 07:58 PM

I am about to attempt a two fabric bargello, using an ombre and a bright fabric. The pattern that I have, is for a throw. I want to create a queen sized quilt. I have been thinking about the construction a lot and I admit that I am intimidated. But I truly believe that if you sew the ombre fabrice to the bright fabric to the ombre fabric and then sew the two ombres together to form a huge tube, you should be able to cut the strips and re-sew them forming the bargello. I think it would also be good to sew each strip in the opposite direction as the previous one. And then, at the end (or maybe working in sections) you would make the cut to open the 'tube'.

If anyone has done anything like this, I would love to hear their input because I am very nervous to start this project.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:59 PM

Here's mine. (If I can get it to post)[ATTACH=CONFIG]538419[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0170.jpg  
Old 12-19-2015, 08:03 PM

Nanacc, that is beautiful! Here is what mine will be, I hope. It is drawn on graph paper and my colored pencils aren't dark enough, but I think it will end up looking okay. It will be sky blue between the rainbow things. I have all my strips cut and am about 1/5 finished sewing them together.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8002708.jpg  
Old 12-19-2015, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I am about to attempt a two fabric bargello, using an ombre and a bright fabric. The pattern that I have, is for a throw. I want to create a queen sized quilt. I have been thinking about the construction a lot and I admit that I am intimidated. But I truly believe that if you sew the ombre fabrice to the bright fabric to the ombre fabric and then sew the two ombres together to form a huge tube, you should be able to cut the strips and re-sew them forming the bargello. I think it would also be good to sew each strip in the opposite direction as the previous one. And then, at the end (or maybe working in sections) you would make the cut to open the 'tube'.

If anyone has done anything like this, I would love to hear their input because I am very nervous to start this project.
I have to admit that I had to google "ombre" fabric because I didn't know what it was. Two of you mentioning forced me to educate myself. I love it. And I think your plan should work.

Dina
Old 12-19-2015, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Nanacc, that is beautiful! Here is what mine will be, I hope. It is drawn on graph paper and my colored pencils aren't dark enough, but I think it will end up looking okay. It will be sky blue between the rainbow things. I have all my strips cut and am about 1/5 finished sewing them together.

Dina
Dina, I love your design! I had the Go multi-strip width die and just had to try it. Made the cutting simple and I wanted a quick baby quilt.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

I found these patterns in Robert Kaufman free patterns:

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...s/free/?page=1

Here are the individual patterns I thought you might want to look at Dina:

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...chroma_modern/

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...ellos/#color:1

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin..._with_stripes/

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...gello/#color:1