Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: strange question I have

I think I should leave written instructions on what to do with my stash, quilts and sewing machines... I have already told my family I do not want any quilts going at a garage sale ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosta
    but have you ever said to your family all this stuff if worth a lot of money so be thoughtful what happens to if something happens to me? I am always telling my family this so they know not to just pitch the stuff. Especially my treadle

My family knows that all my sewing stuff goes to my favorite charity. Anything they don't use, they get the proceeds from selling.

Yes I told my 31 yr old son a yr ago (don't have any dgts) when you look into my sewing room you should see $$$$. He stated he didn't see any. So last summer I decided to unload and had a 3 day craft sale from my cabin and then he saw $$$$ :idea: :idea: :idea:

My husband and most of my older children know. I have 8 daughters and 6 sons and one daughter in love so there are plenty of people who like the stuff. I do not think anything will be sold of and I definitely do not think they will throw anything away. We just do not throw stuff away.

http://quiltville.com/quilterswill.shtml

This is an adorable quilter's will.

Thank goodness I have some very sentimental children.

Blog Entries
    All but my newest machine will go to Linus. No sewers or crafters in my family.Our DD will get in touch with Linus to make arrangements.DH knows the value of the sewing machine, so he'll see to that.That's the best I could do & better Linus than seeing my fabric & tools in a dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
    I have to make a new Will for a number of reasons and I am going to add in something for ALL my quilting things. None of my family are craft orientated although they all love my quilts and I don't want to see expensive or loved quilting machines going to a home "may be useful for stitching curtain or Jeans hems!" and that piece of fabric could make a nice cushion. So I am going to leave it IN TOTAL to the Local Head of Project Linus to distribute where it will be most useful and appreciated.

I think this is something that all of us quilters should think about as I read a rather sad story, on this forum, about one of the members had got a wonderful stack of fabrics which the family didn't want from a garage sale of a departed quilter, it looked as tho' there was enough to fill a warehouse no family needs that task to handle IMO.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanneb52
    I doen't matter what it's worth...I'm takin' it with me.
    me too!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    it is really nice that all of you want to leave your stuff to a charity, BUT have you discussed it with the charity?

If you died tomorrow that might be fine, they might need the donations, but in 5-10 or more years, they might not not even be in existence...

Be sure to talk the foundation and find out just what they will take. Most won't have use for 80% of the items, and they will be trashed in the end....so make sure you really know what they want, in case you need to donate different things to different charities!

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    My oldest DD is a quilter..she will take care of all my 'quilty' stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829
    Haven't had that discussion but then again I think I'm still 25 and have a zillion years left.

But it would be a good idea to have the discussion. My husband isn't really a pitcher, but my son would be.
    Lol i have said the same thing!

Blog Entries
    I'm cleaning out now of some old things and will try to get rid of old sewing machines I will never use again too! No one in my family sew and not sure where it will all go either. I would hope they would sell it but who knows!

Blog Entries
    Linus will more likely still be here & if they just take the stacks of fabric & bolts of flannel, it will get used. Beyond that,I won't try to manage.What will be will be.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    it is really nice that all of you want to leave your stuff to a charity, BUT have you discussed it with the charity?

If you died tomorrow that might be fine, they might need the donations, but in 5-10 or more years, they might not not even be in existence...

Be sure to talk the foundation and find out just what they will take. Most won't have use for 80% of the items, and they will be trashed in the end....so make sure you really know what they want, in case you need to donate different things to different charities!

Blog Entries
    My mom knows she would get it and vice versa, I told my mom to put it in her will! :-)

I don't want to sound heartless..but when I'm gone ...I'm gone. I'm not going to try to make demands from the grave. They can do whatever they want with my stuff. It brings me joy now and that's what counts.

I've spent years doing genealogy and the thought of it being just tossed when I'm gone is on my mind. As for the quilting supplies, I have enough kids interested in those that I don't have to be concerned with that - they just might fight over it.

DerlaJ

Yes, I have...I hope they listen. IF not, one of you will find some really great buys at a thrift store lol.

Absolutely! My oldest daughter gets all my quilting stuff - longarm, sewing machines, thread, fabric, notions - and my other daughter gets all my vehicles...I figured it was about the same in value, at least right now!

Quote Originally Posted by quilting cat
    My family knows that all my sewing stuff goes to my favorite charity. Anything they don't use, they get the proceeds from selling.
    Same here.

I tell y faily to contact my Sister first that she would know how to hand everything

I tell y faily to contact my Sister first that she would know how to hand everything

i dont thibnk that would happen as long as my hubby is around when it come to my quilts , he thinks they are the most beautiful quilts he has seen and takes pride in all the ones i have made and knows the story behind most of them , he knows they are to be treasured

I did tell them about my featherweight.

Yes, I told my DD the value of my quilts, machine, and fabrics so she could get them before my DH sold them for $1 at a yard sale!

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    I've told my children that what's in my sewing room is their inheritance.....if they don't want it, and throw it away they get nothing. If they sell it, they have their fortune!!!! :) :)
    Great idea!!!!! I think I will hagve to try that!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast