Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
King's Corner on Sewing with Nancy? >

King's Corner on Sewing with Nancy?

King's Corner on Sewing with Nancy?

Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 AM

Last week the show 1906 (I think) was on and they had a segment on Quilting with Nancy on King's Corner. It was a lovely quilt that used fat quarters throughout, needing you to buy only one "main color" of yardage. They were playing something called "fat quarter poker". to pick colors for the quilts.

Since I'm planning to make a blue quilt for my sister, I thought this might very well be the perfect pattern. But I need to SEE it. Well all I can get to come up at the web site is a discription of the show (with me telling you more than they have posted above!) And when I go to the sewing with Nancy site it's a flash thing that my computer can't handle. Does anyone know where I might find this pattern? I already looked at quilter's cache, but those aren't the same.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:31 AM

The reference book for that series is Dealer's Choice by Terry Atkinson; her website is here: http://www.atkinsondesigns.com/ I looked on QNN to find the series; it looks like a totally cool way to work on colors and values! Thanks so much for posting it :D Usually the books she uses as companion books to her series' have all the patterns she shows, but you can always e-mail the designer to be sure.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:47 AM

Yes, it was rather a neat idea. Since I fold my fat quarters a little smaller than that for storage (and my stash is very small), I can look down in my fabric box and see them that way.

Did you by chance find the pattern at all? I've been digging in that link and some others and can't find it - not even to buy it. :(
Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 AM

I suspect the pattern for that King's Cross is in the book; I'd e-mail the designer to be certain, but that's usually the way it is on the companion books. I'll try to watch all 3 parts of the series tonight and see if I can glean any more info on it :-)
Old 06-16-2008, 10:25 AM

Wow thanks, that would be great.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:09 AM

Didn't get a chance to watch yet, but I found all three of the series parts free online for anyone who wants to watch:
http://www.sewingwithnancytv.com/

Choose Quilting for the category, and the program is called Quilting - It's All in the Cards.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:13 PM

You got me in trouble. I watched the videos then ordered the book and video. Only $23 but with shipping it was $29. Love the variety of quilts.
Course would have been cheaper to order just the book and no shipping but I had to have it all.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:09 PM

Oh my, two hours later and one book on its way! What wonderful lessons regarding values, prints, sizes etc. A fantastic visual to tuck away info in my ole brain...
Old 06-22-2008, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the site I also enjoy Sewing With Nancy but seem to miss her more than catch her...this is a nice treat to be able to watch it when I can .....Thanks for that and I love the playing card idea how cool...now if I can remember it...
Old 06-22-2008, 12:16 PM

gcathie~ First let me say that is a lovely avatar, is it artwork or a photograph. or both?

Second, here's the trick to remembering fat quarter poker, fold all your fat quarters that way when you put them away. Then they are the perfect size to hold in your hand even if you don't splay them out in a pile. I fold mine a little different than nancy did (I fold it in half, in half the other way, in half again, again, and then one last time), I end up with something like 3"x4" and then organize them by color value.