Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
kit for a new quilter >

kit for a new quilter

kit for a new quilter

Old 11-20-2016, 08:07 AM

Default kit for a new quilter

I am giving my Original touch and sew Singer to my 8 year old granddaughter. We have done some sewing together, but not a lot. I would like to make up some easy projects for her to work on when I can't be with her. Any suggestions? Her mom is not a sewer... , so I hope she will be able to handle a few small projects on her own, with little supervision.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I would start her off with simple 4-patches. Give her a stack of light colors and another stack of dark/mediums and show her how to put lights in two diagonal patches, darks in the other two. She will learn something about value, and then she can have fun arranging the blocks.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

I would also suggest simple squares for 4 patches. Nothing too small, maybe a couple 5" charm packs, one with a print and one neutral or solid.
One thought and sorry if I sound negative, but I'm thinking of 8 year olds in my family and would not let any of them sew unassisted. Of course, every child is different and she may be more mature. Is it OK with her mom that she has her own sewing machine and will sew solo?
Old 11-20-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I would also suggest simple squares for 4 patches. Nothing too small, maybe a couple 5" charm packs, one with a print and one neutral or solid.
One thought and sorry if I sound negative, but I'm thinking of 8 year olds in my family and would not let any of them sew unassisted. Of course, every child is different and she may be more mature. Is it OK with her mom that she has her own sewing machine and will sew solo?
I know... it is a bit worrisome... wish I were closer and I would just keep it at my home.... We will see how it goes I guess.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:02 AM

How about some string pot holders (lots of practice sewing straignt with no damage done if they aren't) - Could be birthed too. Something raggedy (pillow for her bed) Apron from 2.5 strips which could be birthed and top stitched. Perhaps make a set for you and she could e-mail you her progress and you would have one in the same stage and could do the next step send pictures etc. I started using the machine at about the same age but the real reward at that point was a finished product. Don't forget to ask her what she would like to make. As quilters we get to choose and often take on a little more than we can chew. We persevere, learn a lot, then ease back for a while. Remember that the higher the interest the more we are willing to struggle a bit.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:12 PM

I cant find the picture now, but have her sew strips onto a backing. Then choose a simple outline from a coloring book, like a bunny. Cut out the shape from her strips, then wonder under outline onto a new square background and raw edge applique. She could do just the strips at home, then bring the next time she sees you for help.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:30 AM

The triple rail block would help her master a lot of skills while ending up with a great many blocks! Good luck! What a great gift!!
Old 11-21-2016, 09:09 AM

As far as letting an 8 year old sew unassisted, that would depend on the child. I was sewing on my grandmother's treadle Singer when I was 6, after she taught me how to use it. Then later on, she bought a newer Kenmore machine and let me take the Singer home with me. My mother doesn't do ANYTHING crafty, so I was on my own for sure.

It truly depends on the child's maturity. And natural mechanical aptitude.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:50 AM

I don't remember exactly how old I was when I started to sew, but I was still playing with dolls. So, I had to be fairly young. I made doll clothes. My cousin and I were discussing this a couple of weeks ago. She did, too.

I was not supervised on the machine, but my mom was in the house in case I got in trouble.

bkay