Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Update: Viking Platinum and Handi Quilter Foot Conversion Kit >

Update: Viking Platinum and Handi Quilter Foot Conversion Kit

Update: Viking Platinum and Handi Quilter Foot Conversion Kit

Old 10-19-2018, 04:57 PM

Default Update: Viking Platinum and Handi Quilter Foot Conversion Kit

So...I posted a request for advice on here about using Handi Quilter conversion kit on the Platinum 16 and it looked like this would work based on what people did with their Babylock Tiara. I have the Viking Platinum 16 which does not have a foot that can be changed. This means if you buy it, you don't have the option to have a ruler foot, an open toe foot or a glide foot or a couching foot...

But...for about $150 you can change out the foot and put on an interchangeable foot base. The Handiquilter foot conversion kit Does work with this set up. Perfectly. The online videos from Hamdi-Quilter are Exactly the same for this set up. You do have to use the long wrench and lift the presser foot and the screw hole it directs you to in the video is Exactly the same.

This wasn't actually the easiest of fixes for me because I had two extra random problems having nothing to do with the foot conversion. When cleaning my bobbin the backlash spring popped out. I apparently put it back in backwards...or upside down...or something. Anyways, if that is bad, it messes up the timing and take up badly. I also put the needle in backwards...Sheesh.

Speaking of the timing of the machine....When you do use that wrench on the inner screw...that does have an effect on the timing. You have to get it back down to the right height before you tighten it up again. In my case, I was "lifting" the foot higher. If it's too low, then the fabric can't move and thread immediately breaks. Too high, and the stitches skip horribly. I tried the business card thing...That didn't work. What did work was to put a quilt sandwich between the foot and the bottom plate, let it rest (but just rest, meaning you may be using your hand strength to hold it up just slightly-slightly) on the quilt sandwich before you tighten that screw hole down on the side of the machine.

So once I got the height of the foot right, fixed the backlash spring, figured out my needle was wrong, then adjusted the tension on my bobbin - this took 4 hours...I now have an interchangeable foot.

One more thing...if you think you are saving a step by getting the conversion kit only (because it "claims" to have an included foot), you aren't doing yourself any favors. The "ruler" foot in the conversion kit is the same foot you had before. You need the new "Sure Foot" ruler. So, that's why the conversion kit is $100, and the Sure Foot is $50. But between the open toe foot included in the kit (which really is worth the whole dang effort) and the Sure Foot ruler foot, you are good to go. I'm not sure I'll use the glide foot or the couching feet but now those are simple change outs now.

Also...I did have to screw this foot all the way up into the foot holder. I thought there would be some play but there wasn't. I guess I could have used the internal screw to lift it higher, then attach it...but there's only so much I want to play with the timing.

In the end...waiting for Viking to quit playing around with "getting a ruler foot out" isn't worth the wait. All of the adjustments here are going to be the exact same there. So you may as well go with the Handi Quilter one and start enjoying it today. Mine is doing beautifully.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-20-2018 at 01:28 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-19-2018, 06:28 PM

M,
Thanks for all the detailed information! This is awesome!
Old 10-20-2018, 07:43 AM

I bought the sure foot and conversion kit for my platinum 16. Had no trouble putting it in and only took less than 1/2 hour. I didn't even have to use that long handled thingy that they say you might have to use to get the setting right.
I am so glad that I got it and I really like the machine also.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:37 PM

Thank you for this post. I have searched for months and this popped up and it seems since they are sister machines that it would work, but I am sure you know sales stores are “gagged ordered” to not help a lot and as you know H\V has not interest in helping us. I could afford this machine and I do love it I just wanted to move on and do more. Again thank you and I do hope it is still doing well.