Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husqvarna Platinum 16 vs Handi Quilter Sweet 16 >

Husqvarna Platinum 16 vs Handi Quilter Sweet 16

Husqvarna Platinum 16 vs Handi Quilter Sweet 16

Old 04-30-2014, 05:28 AM

Location: San Isidro de San Ramon, Costa Rica & Calgary, Canada
Default Husqvarna Platinum 16 vs Handi Quilter Sweet 16

I am going to purchase a sit down quilting machine and the two above seem to be the best for both price and availability where I live. Has anyone used either of these? Especially the Husqvarna? It is impossible to see both and compare objectively. Thanks.

Wendy
San Isidro de San Ramon
Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 AM

I LOVE my HQ Sweet Sixteen! Where will you get the better dealer support? That matters!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:14 AM

Can't speak about the long arm versions, but my regular sewing machine is a Viking Platinum - about 10 yrs old. I've NEVER had an issue with it. In fact, it's never even been in for service. Goes along swimmingly all the time.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:37 AM

I own the Sweet Sixteen and love it. I've seen the Viking Platinum at quilt shows and suspect that it is made by HandiQuilter - too many similarities in the table design and Trustitch is the HQ stitch regulator. The main difference in the machines appears to be the placement of the thread spools/spool holders.

Ultimately your decision may come down to access to dealers/support. HQ has excellent customer support by phone, in addition to the network of dealers. I see by your location that you live outside the US. I don't own a Viking so I can't speak to what their remote customer support is like.

Cheers, K
Old 04-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Do a Google search on each followed by the word "reviews" to get more opinions. Here is the first website I found that way: http://elizabethruffing.com/2010/05/...e-lowdown.html

I haven't done this on both machines and read all the reviews, but my gut feeling is that the Sweet Sixteen is a better bet. This is in part because I have seen a lot of posts about the SS and few about the Viking, plus all the ones about the SS that I have seen have been positive. My bet is that the SS has been around longer and is better known. Being better known means it is easier to sell later if you ever want to upgrade.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:17 AM

The elizabethruffing.com site is describing problems with an entirely different machine. The Platinum 16 is new to the market - I first sighted it at a show in January.

Cheers, K
Old 04-30-2014, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Another to look into is the BabyLock Tiara .... same machine as the S16.
Just painted and re-labelled for BL.

I am not an owner ... but did test drive the S16 and Tiara a year ago ... and still lust over them!
Someday!!
Old 05-01-2014, 04:46 AM

Location: San Isidro de San Ramon, Costa Rica & Calgary, Canada

Thanks for all the replies. I too had wondered about the similarity between the two machines. No one in Calgary seems to have the Tiara, so it isn't in the running. Right now I am leaning towards the Husqvarna as the price is less than what I have been quoted for the SS and they are throwing in the TruSitich as well. I visited the TruStitch site and they say they sell to both Husqvarna and SS, which tells me the software inside has to be pretty much the same. Fortunately, I have a sewing machine mechanic for a hustband so don't worry too much about that kind of support, and as I once had a Husqvarna dealership and know the dealer where I would buy the machine, I am leaning that direction.
I will be back in Canada in two weeks and make the final decision then. I will keep the list posted.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:29 PM

It sounds like the Husqvarna is definitely the way to go for you then as you've got a support network with them.

They are great machines.

Cheers, K
Old 05-05-2014, 04:48 PM

Yes, the Platinum 16 sitdown longarm machine is made by HaniQuilter for Viking. The differences are in the digital display unit is rectangular (P16) vs square (S16) and within the screen, Viking's has "fix" and the S16 has a needle with up down. It does the same function. Also, the tread holder is on the top of the machine vs the side. Which I like better... My HQ dealer left me bring my quilts to the store and quilt them to try the machine out. I loved the machine and I was saving a little every month until I could purchase one. The dealer also sold Viking and told me about the Platinum 16 sitdown longarm being made by HandiQuilter at a slightly lower price point. HandiQuilter makes you sent the payment to them and the dealer can not negotiate the price with you. The dealer could negotiate the price on the Platinum 16. I ended up making a deal and purchasing the Viking Platinum 16 with true stitch because it is essentially a HQ Sweet 16 with a different label and the price was better. It was delivered this weekend and I just love the machine and am sooo happy with my purchase. I did get the true stitch...since the dealer threw it in...thank you! I has mixed emotions on the true stitch because I tried it on the S16 and didn't think there was a difference. Well, I was very wrong. I read somewhere on the internet how to correctly use the true stitch. I didn't have the reciever close enough to the machine. Now that I used it properly...it is AWESOME!!! I love having the true stitch. It does keep my stitches consistant.