Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? why does my quilt look perforated? >

? why does my quilt look perforated?

? why does my quilt look perforated?

Old 05-03-2014, 05:33 PM

Default ? why does my quilt look perforated?

I'm getting ready to bind my quilt- that I sent out to a long arm quilter to quilt, and I just held it up and saw light come through. Why? what can I ask for/say the next time? It's not noticeable on this quilt, unless you hold it up in front of a light and look at it, and this is just for me, so I'm not going to get upset about it. But I want to know what to say or ask for next time.

This happened to a quilt I gave to another long arm quilter, and the perforation look was really noticeable and she didn't say anything. so I no longer use her and went to someone else for my next quilt. no perforated look with my last one- but this one, yes.

thanks so much!
Deb
Old 05-03-2014, 05:39 PM

Long arm quilting requires the use of a honker sized needle. Hopefully, the holes will close up after the first washing.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:48 PM

After the quilt is washed, you shouldn't notice them because the quilt gets crinkly. You could ask what size needle she uses. I've noticed when I use an 80 needle the holes don't look so big. If you have a "show quilt" it might be more of a problem because those aren't usually washed after the quilting.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:23 PM

IMO, this is normal and will not change as long as you use professional longarmers. They do have to use larger needles, but as others have said, once the quilt is washed you won't see the needle holes.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:06 AM

Yep. Wash it and those holes will disappear!
Old 05-04-2014, 04:08 AM

Agree with everyone else. I longarm, and we have to use a large needle or there will be tension problems. There are a couple of different large sizes of needles we use, so there can be a little variation in the size of the needle holes, but they are always there and will close up after washing. Too bad you quit the first longarmer because of this instead of simply asking her. In my opinion, this is not a factor I would use in choosing a longarmer. No matter, but in the future try to be more open with your longarmer and not be afraid to ask questions. There are differences in machine quilting with a longarm compared to other methods, and there is much to learn if you just ask.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:11 AM

As a long armer, everyone is right on, they will go away when washed, or you might try just a few minutes in the dryer.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:38 AM

I also tend to see the holes more with batiks...the tighter weave make the holes a bit more stubborn about closing up. Just the nature of the long arming process and what fabrics are being used..
Old 05-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

WOW, thanks for the information. I have always quilted using my Bernina 1530 with a size 14 needle. Didn't know this fact at all. I was thinking of having a LAQ baste my last large quilt for me. Being disable, it is hard to pin baste such a large quilt anymore. Now I will have to think twice about having that done.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:57 PM

ManiacQuilter, don't be afraid to have it basted---longarmers baste for quilters all the time. Any holes will disappear once the quilt is washed.