Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kits?? >

Kits??

Kits??

Old 03-22-2017, 06:39 AM

Default Kits??

I have never bought a kit before, nor do I follow patterns really. I like to create and fly with it. But I was given a lovely queensize quilt kit from Connecting Threads for my b-day. The blocks are huge...30"! I never do such big pieces! For me 2" is normal, preferably 1.5". Lol! I'm wondering if I am the only one out there like this? I'm stumped on how I can personalize the kit and make it mine... if you know what I mean? Hand embroidery, maybe? Appliqué?
Old 03-22-2017, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Can you reverse engineer the instructions for the completed blocks? I would think it shouldn't be that difficult to reduce the block size and the units that assemble the block into a size you like better. You can then make more blocks to make the quilt. Instead of say 6 30 finished blocks you may end up with 12 15" finished blocks.

Then you would have your own twist on the pattern and probably ample fabric (I understand CT kits are quite generous). Another way to make a pattern/kit your own is to change the setting. You may have to supplement fabric for that or you may use much less. It all depends.

Hard to give suggestions without knowing what the pattern is.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:10 AM

Here is a picture of the kit. Sorry I couldn't find it on their website. Each block calls for two and half entire FQ.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 03-22-2017, 07:20 AM

Maybe you could use that for the backing of one of your own creations, which would result in a reversible quilt.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:22 AM

It is very pretty. Since you never did a kit before, give it a try. Looks like there is lots of places for additional embroidery , applique, or fancy quilting. But I would start as is. Sounds like it is very different from your comfort zone....but that is ok too
Old 03-22-2017, 07:49 AM

That looks like the swoon pattern......created with lots of hst......I think...... I really can't see how you can "personalize" it, other than just put it together from start to finish...that's pretty personal to me!

correction.....I enlarged your pic and no it is not the swoon pattern, but nonetheless pretty as it is, so just do it.....a challenge!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:21 AM

I would say give it a try from the pattern. You might learn to like bigger blocks and patterns. Then embellish to your heart's content.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:44 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Not sure how close to the gift giver you are, but I think it best to make it as she presented . She selected it . You can embellish it with quilting to make it your own.
Jmho
Old 03-22-2017, 09:05 AM

Connecting Threads is always very generous with the amount of fabric you get in a kit. Many times I can add just a little of my own yardage to make another quilt. That being said, I would make the quilt as the gift giver intended, then make another quilt with the leftover fabric.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:42 AM

I would do the quilt as per the instructions. It is very pretty.