Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kits?? >

Kits??

Kits??

Old 03-22-2017, 09:51 AM

You can always do what I did with a fabric set I bought to make a certain pattern and never did. I just used the fabric for something I wanted to do!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:53 AM

Thanks for all of your ideas I'll do the pattern as is. I do like it, please don't get me wrong. I guess I just can't imagine blocks that big. The fabrics are so pretty too.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

This is not in reference to kits per se, but to quilting patterns. I too like lots of small pieces, but when I need something quick, I go with blocks with larger pieces. I'm always amazed at how quick they are, and I usually like the result! I would do the pattern as is and see how you like a top with a quicker completion timeline.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:53 AM

They *are* big blocks. But they're not simple blocks, like say if you had 30" pinwheels!

I've only done one sewing kit, and it wasn't a quilt. They're not bad, but they're not for me. On the other hand I love those felt/embroidery/sequin kits to make things. Now that I think about it, I don't know why I like one but not the other. Probably the same reason I use patterns for clothing but not for quilts, just because that's how I started off doing it. I didn't even know that there were such things as patterns for quilts, or kits for that matter.

Let us know how you like using the kit. And happy birthday.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:57 PM

It may be out of your comfort zone but why not try it! You may find that you enjoy the process
Old 03-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Gay

You could easily turn these into 10" blocks and your pieces would be small, coloured strips would finish at 1".
Old 03-22-2017, 04:34 PM

Sometimes I buy a kit just for the fabric. If there is enough fabric to make into smaller-size blocks in pattern you like, try it.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Thanks for all of your ideas I'll do the pattern as is. I do like it, please don't get me wrong. I guess I just can't imagine blocks that big. The fabrics are so pretty too.
good idea!!!
and as someone suggested, it could be a reversible quilt with one of your own design! learning process also!!
Old 03-23-2017, 05:34 AM

No one says you have to use the pattern that came with the kit. Use the material in any pattern you wish and explain to the "giver" that you loved the fabric...just not the pattern. As long as the quilt you develop is loved by you the "giver" will be happy for you.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:42 AM

Put the top together and see if it speaks to you. There seems to be wnough white if you wanted to embroider something.