Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labeling A Quilt >

Labeling A Quilt

Labeling A Quilt

Old 09-23-2014, 09:13 AM

I looked for the Pigmas at my local office supply today but they don't have them. I guess I'm going to have to drive an hour to a town in the area. That's so awful. (There are yarn and quilt shops in that town. ;-))

~ Carla ~
Old 09-23-2014, 10:40 AM

I live 25 miles one way from the nearest WalMart so I have learned to order on line and save gas and the hassle of fighting the crowds. Plus I can get exactly what I want AND don't have to worry about driving somewhere only to find out they don't have what I want. I pay 3.60/gal for gas and get 25 mi/gal so I can order on line and pay for shipping cheaper than driving to get stuff.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:01 AM

I just found a set of Tulip fabric pens (packaged just like water color pens) at Walmart yesterday, and plan to use them today to produce a doodle on white pre-washed fabric, then let it ride though a few loads while I do laundry tomorrow to see if they fade. I will make an extra, small unwashed sample to compare the washed colors to. I will post my results.

(I once used a sharpie on a comforter/bed spread I bought that had pale red roses, to make them bright red to match my room. Took me weeks of coloring but when I was done, I loved it! Remember that sharpies run/bleed badly on fabric, but this one instance it was not a problem.)

Last edited by madamekelly; 09-23-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:14 AM

Here's a good article about this:
http://www.freckledwhimsy.com/2010/0...ns-to-use.html

I use copic multiliners.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:58 AM

I am sending you a PM......
Old 09-23-2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
Here's a good article about this:
http://www.freckledwhimsy.com/2010/0...ns-to-use.html

I use copic multiliners.
Very interesting article, Gale. Thank you!

~ Carla ~
Old 09-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I like to use the Micron Pigma pens for labels, and they have held up well.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:09 PM

Are you familiar with Planet Embroidery. You can join free and there are many freebies on the site. That is my go-to for labels for my quilts. You will also need a program like Embird to size and adjust your words to suite you. You type in the info you want to emb. and then get it in your format. Freebies, I'm talking about the fonts you chose to use.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:43 PM

or do the label using your computer. Use June Taylor sew in computer printer fabric(gold package) available at Joann's. Go to Microsoft office, then to Microsoft word, select insert and search for a picture that closely resembles your focus fabric or the name of your quilt. Remove the square and add your information as to name of quilt, date made and by whom. Use scrap paper to practice. You can change the colors, size and format. Remember to remove the paper off the fabric before sewing onto your backing. Some people embroider all the information about the quilt on the back binding before stitching it. Be sure to take a picture of your quilt, write all the information and put in an album.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:20 PM

I know neither Planet Embroidery nor the June Tailor fabric. The nearest JoAnn's to me... not sure but a minimum of 2 hours of freeway driving. Of course, I can always make an order online. Thanks for the suggestions, Eva and sylviasmom!

As it has transpired I am fearful of running out of thread before I finish quilting and I can't get any of my color in town, but the as-yet-unvisited quilt shop in the town about an hour away said on the phone today that they have it. I will go tomorrow afternoon and will also shop for ways to put the child's name on his quilt while there. The quilt is for is a special needs newborn who will be in the hospital for some weeks yet so I want a label and I plan to sew the thing VERY securely to the quilt, so it can't easily be removed. Sad that my trust in mankind is at such a low level but... there it is. And I have to say I am excited about this new shop. A friend gave it a good review. I might just happen to take a peek at fabric for a quilt for my father — just sayin'.

~ Carla ~