Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Larger Ironing Board >

Larger Ironing Board

Larger Ironing Board

Old 07-06-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Get a half sheet of plywood, you may have to buy a whole sheet, maybe you could go in with someone. They say it must be oak, not true. Lay it on the floor. Lay your ironing board on top of the plywood. Draw all around the ironing board with any kind of marker. Now get some "furring" strips or wooden strips approximate 1" X 1" or 1/2" X 1/2". Nail or screw them just outside of the lines you have drawn on the plywood. (when placed on top of your ironing board, these will keep the plywood on your ironing board.) Cover the top of the plywood (the part without the wooden strips) with a layer or two of batting and any left over fabric you might have (or you can purchase the silver kind made for ironing). Place plywood onto your ironing board (that you have set back up) fabric up. TA DA!!!!!! Hope that helps. Let me know if it doesn't make sense. Works perfectly in my head LOL!! My hubby has made several! I was going to add pictures but camera battery is dead. I'll charge it up and try later!

Love your direction, but DH is wondering if 24 inches is too wide ?
Old 07-06-2014, 08:35 AM

The width depends on how tall you are and how long your arms are. My friend and I are both over 5'9" and it was just perfect. It would not be good for someone say 5'.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 AM

Walmart has a kitchen cart that is on wheels. I mounted my big board on the top of it the same way as the directions say to mount on an ironing board. The cart was only $30 or so dollars. I love that because I will wheel out of the way in my sewing room when I need to move it. I just covered by board with batting and a topping of plan cotton fabric.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I had a piece of 1" thick wood and just set it on two Sterilite cabinets I bought at Walmart on sale for $99.00. The only problem I find for myself is that stuff seems to accumulate on it.
Great idea, but if it was in my sewing room, I could not relax if thse stickers were still on it. I have a strange thing about stickers on things. They must go! Lol!
Old 07-06-2014, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by SimpsonFrances View Post
Walmart has a kitchen cart that is on wheels. I mounted my big board on the top of it the same way as the directions say to mount on an ironing board. The cart was only $30 or so dollars. I love that because I will wheel out of the way in my sewing room when I need to move it. I just covered by board with batting and a topping of plan cotton fabric.
I like this idea. Thanks. Now I have something else to look for at yard sales or the second hand store.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Great idea, but if it was in my sewing room, I could not relax if thse stickers were still on it. I have a strange thing about stickers on things. They must go! Lol!
Lol it is amazing what we focus on. I would have to had removed the stickers also.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:17 PM

Great idea.
I was wondering if any of you have used a plaid of gingham for the top, so it has a grid for ironing it straight.
It wouldn't have to be squares, just some woven plaid and then not stretched so it distorts.

Ethel
Old 07-06-2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Get a half sheet of plywood, you may have to buy a whole sheet, maybe you could go in with someone. They say it must be oak, not true. Lay it on the floor. Lay your ironing board on top of the plywood. Draw all around the ironing board with any kind of marker. Now get some "furring" strips or wooden strips approximate 1" X 1" or 1/2" X 1/2". Nail or screw them just outside of the lines you have drawn on the plywood. (when placed on top of your ironing board, these will keep the plywood on your ironing board.) Cover the top of the plywood (the part without the wooden strips) with a layer or two of batting and any left over fabric you might have (or you can purchase the silver kind made for ironing). Place plywood onto your ironing board (that you have set back up) fabric up. TA DA!!!!!! Hope that helps. Let me know if it doesn't make sense. Works perfectly in my head LOL!! My hubby has made several! I was going to add pictures but camera battery is dead. I'll charge it up and try later!
This is a great one to make, my husband is not a handy man at all but he was actually able to make it! There are You Tube Video's too.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
Love your direction, but DH is wondering if 24 inches is too wide ?
I think 24 inches is perfect. I also put my big cutting mat on the big board when I do a lot of cutting. I have plenty of room to unfold my fabric and no back aches from bending. The extra width is invaluable when pressing backing. I covered my big board with that silvery stuff so I can wipe it down if I get glue or starch build up all over. Mine is homemade like AZ Jane described. I bought the entire piece of plywood and made one for a friend.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by humbird View Post
I found a piece of peg board in hubbies shop. Not sure of the dimensions, but probably about 18 inches wide by the length (plus a few inches) of my ironing board. Covered it with a couple layers of thin batting then an old sheet, which I laced on the back with heavy string. Didn't put any thing on the back to keep it in place. Not a problem for me, but the peg board is quite heavy, maybe that's why it doesn't move around. Been using it for several years, without a problem. Not sure, but I thought the peg board would be good for ventilation.
You are right !! Ironing boards do have holes and I never thought about it before