Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Larger Ironing Board >

Larger Ironing Board

Larger Ironing Board

Old 07-07-2014, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Buy an old dresser and make your own..You will also have storage.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
Love your direction, but DH is wondering if 24 inches is too wide ?
At this size I can iron a full yard (folded in center as the yardage comes from the store) at once. folded yard is approximately 20 or 22 inches wide and 36 inches long. So 24 inches is perfect and I'm 5'2".
Old 07-07-2014, 08:15 AM

this you tube gives a very detailed video for making your own. I made one and liked it so much I made a small one to take to classes or retreats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LGbXou_u4c
Old 07-07-2014, 09:05 AM

my sewing room (spare room) has a twin bed. I covered a board on one side as an ironing surface and the other side I painted to match the wall. When not in use, it sits against the wall. But I can lay it on the bed and use it as a huge ironing table or lay my cardboard mat on it and use it as a pinning surface. (Also, the bed has been raised a bit so I don't bend over.)
Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 AM

I have one that is 24" wide x 60" long. I was going to ask my son to make one for me, but hesitated because I knew it would go at the end of a long list of other projects (he inherited his crafty gene from me <LOL>). But when he asked me what the Grandsons could give me for Christmas, I jumped at the chance to get one! I .pdf'd him a copy of a tutorial and told him not to worry about covering it, since I had the batting, etc.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:58 PM

I put two layers of Warm and Natural batting on for padding. To cover it ... I use Drill fabric from Joann's with my 40% (or 50%) coupon. You will need 68" x 30" of fabric for a 24" x 60" board.

Keep the Drill that you cut off. Cut in sections and use on top of your board in the area which gets
the most use. It is extra protection if you press seams while piecing in one particular area of the board. (Rather than removing the cover and replacing it when soiled, just lay another layer of Drill over the top. It will stay in place without all of the extra work.)

Press the fabric giving attention to the fold. Do not spray with water. Don't ever wash Drill. It shrinks and the wrinkles won't iron out.

Use an electric staple gun with 3/8" staples. (Take the old staples out with a screwdriver.)
Staple a long side with the selvage edge first starting in the middle. Pull the fabric taut lengthwise as you staple toward the ends. Next staple the other side folding under the edge so it covers the padding. (It may need to be trimmed.) Be sure to pull it taut across the width and length when stapling. Staple the short ends keeping the fabric taut while stapling.
Attached Thumbnails big-ironing-board.jpg  
Old 07-07-2014, 11:30 PM

I wouldn't buy fabric that I couldn't wash. I feel like it's full of chemicals.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 AM

I used two layers of cotton batting, then a permanent cover of muslin, then pillow ticking for the top cover. I put grommets around the edges and laced clothesline cord through the grommets (like lacing a shoe) to tighten it. That way, I can take the top cover off and wash it.