Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Larger Ironing Board >

Larger Ironing Board

Larger Ironing Board

Old 07-05-2014, 06:52 AM

Default Larger Ironing Board

I'm getting very frustrated with my store bought ironing board. It's too small for ironing a large amount of fabric. I have to iron half the fabric turn it around an start on the other half. Does anyone have directions on how to build a larger board? I'm not good with directions so I need them explained in what our son calls " mom directions". Lol
thank you for all your help in advance
Sue
Old 07-05-2014, 07:10 AM

Some people have used a door set up on end pieces (saw horses, end tables, what have you). I use a dresser with a covered pad. When it comes to ironing, the more real estate, the better!
Old 07-05-2014, 07:15 AM

Get a half sheet of plywood, you may have to buy a whole sheet, maybe you could go in with someone. They say it must be oak, not true. Lay it on the floor. Lay your ironing board on top of the plywood. Draw all around the ironing board with any kind of marker. Now get some "furring" strips or wooden strips approximate 1" X 1" or 1/2" X 1/2". Nail or screw them just outside of the lines you have drawn on the plywood. (when placed on top of your ironing board, these will keep the plywood on your ironing board.) Cover the top of the plywood (the part without the wooden strips) with a layer or two of batting and any left over fabric you might have (or you can purchase the silver kind made for ironing). Place plywood onto your ironing board (that you have set back up) fabric up. TA DA!!!!!! Hope that helps. Let me know if it doesn't make sense. Works perfectly in my head LOL!! My hubby has made several! I was going to add pictures but camera battery is dead. I'll charge it up and try later!

Last edited by AZ Jane; 07-05-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:18 AM

I bought a 4 by 8 ft piece of 1/2 inch thick good grade plywood and had the lumber yard cut it lengthwise into a 30 inch wide and 18 inch wide pieces. also bought a length of quarter-round-8foot will be enough. Cut into 1 foot lengths. Lay the 30 inch wide plywood on the floor with "good" side down--now place your regular ironing board (folded up) on top of the plywood and glue down the strips of quarter-round about an inch away from each side and end of the ironing board. This prevents board from sliding around or off. Let dry and set up ironing board with the plywood on top. I padded mine with a couple layers of heavy duty aluminum foil (to prevent warping of the board by steam) first-then a couple layers of cotton batting and made a cover from some heavy weight cotton. The cover has a drawstring thru a casing along the outside edge so it can be removed for laundering--I used a long length of narrow elastic for drawstring since that is all I had at the time. Have used this for several years and no warping. I like that it can be taken apart and stored separately if need be. Hope this is what you are looking for. You can make it narrower but wouldn't make it any wider because of stability problems.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:21 AM

AZJane Geez--great minds in the same ditch---Guess I don't type fast enough . At least we have the same idea going
Old 07-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I had a piece of 1" thick wood and just set it on two Sterilite cabinets I bought at Walmart on sale for $99.00. The only problem I find for myself is that stuff seems to accumulate on it.
Attached Thumbnails sterlite-drawers-ironingboard.jpg  
Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 AM

I found a piece of peg board in hubbies shop. Not sure of the dimensions, but probably about 18 inches wide by the length (plus a few inches) of my ironing board. Covered it with a couple layers of thin batting then an old sheet, which I laced on the back with heavy string. Didn't put any thing on the back to keep it in place. Not a problem for me, but the peg board is quite heavy, maybe that's why it doesn't move around. Been using it for several years, without a problem. Not sure, but I thought the peg board would be good for ventilation.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:32 AM

Heres a tutorial you can check out to see if you can follow it.
https://mulberrypatchquilts.wordpres...ard-extension/
Old 07-05-2014, 07:39 AM

Thanks for all this info ladies. Just the other day, I was lamenting the width of my ironing board. Now I have a neat DIY for my DH to make. Always easier to show him photos than to try to explain what I'm talking about.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:03 AM

I showed my DH what I wanted to sit upon my ironing board. He made it. Has slots on the bottom to hold it. Made of some kind of particle board or plywood. I covered it. It is so heavy that it bent one ironing board so I bought another ironing board from a thrift store. Felt i didn't need it after he put a large piece of melamine coated chip board over my craft table. Well, I put it back on cause didn't like regular ironing board size.