Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lasagna Quilt Done

This is also known as a Jelly Roll Race or Endless Jelly Roll, and I learned about it from a recent post by zyxquilts, who cited this source: http://blog.1choice4quilting.com , but it's been around for a few years under various names. I cut my own 2 1/2" strips from my stash. This is 45" by 54" I found one of my strips on the floor after I finished it, so the size was a little different than I planned, but it works as a lap quilt for our den. I made the angles sharper than the 45 degree ones I use for binding, and deliberately made one go the opposite direction, but decided that was too complicated to do several times.

This was also my first attempt at using a blindstitch on the binding, and I'm very happy I learned about that, also from people on QB. My blindstitch tacks to the left, which means that I had to roll up the quilt and feed the entire thing through the throat of my little Elna four times, but it's really not a problem at all for a quilt this size, and saves hours of hand-sewing.

I did FMQ, just winging it with a minimal plan, and that works okay for me if a design is "natural objects", such as leaves - not all the same in nature, and definitely not all the same when I try them. I've been learning this for about 6 months, I think. It's getting easier, but I have a way to go yet.

[Sorry - I realized too late this should be under "Pictures" - would move it if I knew how!]

Lasagna Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-210899.jpe
Views: 542
Size:  138.3 KB

Close up of blind stitch
    Name:  Attachment-210900.jpe
Views: 285
Size:  78.7 KB

FMQ leaves
    Name:  Attachment-210901.jpe
Views: 291
Size:  54.4 KB

You did a great job; love the name of the quilt!

Great quilt. I am really gaoing to try the blind stitch on the bindings, great idea.

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I like your leaves. My Elna only tacks to the left, too. I haven't tried a quilt on it yet.

Good job

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You did a really nice job.

The name make me hungry. I finished a couple of these quilts. I did one with 30 strips. These are very easy. I always stitch my bindings by machine.

Power Poster
    Nice work!

Thanks for the nice words, y'all!

Btw, I don't get credit for the name, but mentioned it because when I searched for information about them, that seemed to be the earlier name, maybe before fabric Jelly Rolls were marketed. If I'd known earlier I might have used more lasagna-like colors. This was definitely a fast and easy quilt. I have seen some made as baby quilts and also some with various appliques added, which I may try eventually.

It turned out very well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast