Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layer cake vs cutting your own? >

Layer cake vs cutting your own?

Layer cake vs cutting your own?

Old 02-15-2015, 12:58 PM

As others have said, the main advantage I see with buying packaged precuts is the fabric variety. However, before buying a precut package of any sort, I do the math in my mind to see if I really need the variety or if cutting (which I don't mind doing and do very accurately) several sale fabrics is the better value. I am never tempted at full price for precuts, but sometimes a sale like the daily deal at MSQC is tempting.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:10 PM

I understand that pre-cuts are convenient, and I have bought some(when I found a good sale or wanted a collection..without looking for all in yardage). One thing I have realized when cutting is that you are also paying the labor involved.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Yes, Layer Cake are expensive and not always well cut. I make mine own. I do prefer Hobby Lobby fabric compared to other chain stores for quality but I also buy fabric online and on eBay. No LQS near me and I don't drive.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:23 PM

I like to cut my own squares, as I always don't care for ALL of the fabric selections, even though they are of the same line. I have quite a stash, so selection isn't a problem for me. I agree with ordering from Connecting Threads, when I have ordered pre-cuts I was pleased with the sample selection.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:28 PM

I buy layer cakes from time to time if it's a line I really like, and it's on sale - usually greenfairy or Craftsy. MSQ has good deals as well, but it's rare that they are featuring a line that I like. I tend to use them when I need something quick for a charity auction or something. It's a timesaver not just in cutting, but in choosing fabric.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:41 PM

I've only bought them on sale and only because of the variety and convenience. But I've had too many precuts not cut just right so I quit buying them. I bought a 10" square for my die cut machine instead. I'll have to get by with less variety.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

I've never had a name brand pre cut package have bad cuts. I sure there may be some but so far I haven't gotten one. Like I posted above the only off cuts I've had came from Ebay or Etsy. I won't buy homemade cuts.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Don't know about other locations, but around here the LQSs won't cut a 10" piece, so to get a 10 inch square, you would need to buy 12", which would give you a extra 2" strip (if they cut it exactly square). If you can use it great, otherwise it's going to wind up in your scrap bin. You can cut 4 squares from a length, then you would also have a small leftover strip. With precuts you are paying for labor and convenience, and I'm sure that you also are paying for a bit of wasted fabric. Connecting threads is one site that just charges the price per yard for their precuts. The call 10" squares 'stacks'.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 02-15-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:31 PM

Thanks so much for all the replies! They have been so helpful!
Old 02-15-2015, 04:04 PM

I have seen them from 29-32 so 39 seems high but some sites sell precust in the 40 range as well so it is up to you to shop around for the best price on precuts. I don't pay over 32 for jelly rolls and layer cakes and have gotten some for 25-27 if on sale clearance. I buy precuts for the simple reason is you are not going to get that many fabrics from a line in your stash. Where are you gonna get 40 coordinating fabrics in a stash unless you pretty much have a quilt shop in your house. I know I don't. Also it saves some time on cutting. It takes time to cut all that out which is in turn why they are more expensive because you are paying for the service of cutting. It is ultimately up to you to decide if you want to pay that much. I love jelly rolls and fat quarters, That is the precut I buy the most of but I have a few layer cake/charm packs for certain quilts that call for them. Just google the fabric line and you can find all types of pricing. I have even found awesome deals on etsy for precuts as well