Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layering a large quilt >

Layering a large quilt

Layering a large quilt

Old 11-17-2016, 07:39 AM

I do my larger quilts at our quilt club meeting and use three banquet tables. I never spray as I had a terrible experience with wrinkles using that method. I pin with the curved quilting pins, starting in the center of quilt and working my way out equally as I go. Never a wrinkle!! I do tape my backing down without stretching it. Just making sure it is smooth.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:44 AM

I did my last one on the floor but my hamstrings reminded me of it for about a week! Personally, I think there is no good way and if I could avoid this quilting chore, I would. One of my sons wants a king size quilt, which I could possibly piece, but sandwich? I don't even want to think about it! Never mind trying to quilt it on a DSM.

That said, others here have good advice for what has worked for them.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:16 AM

Try the Sharon schaumbers method. Works well for me. I have MS and can't get on floor. I put the boards on kitchen table and can sit on a chair. I pin baser rather than hand stitch. Have even done king that way. It worksK
Old 11-17-2016, 08:31 AM

Carmen, thanks for the info - that was a great video and I am definitely going to try it - I think making the sandwich is absolutely the worst part of making a quilt!!

Originally Posted by celwood View Post
Check out the Youtube video by Paula Storm. I have converted to this method and use it all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPedPf4hdVY
Old 11-17-2016, 11:42 AM

I have 2 nice quilts finished wrapped in batting and backing. I don!t want to quilt them myself and even have special backing down. Seems I should have more fabric around borders for them to be long armed. I prefer to do these by check but haven't figured how to solve back size concern yet.
I too say I am not doing the huge ones any more unless I know how to get them ready for sending out to be quilted.

I am able to use big tables in church hall but some ladies don,t like me using the spray glue as they smell it and I like that the best.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Suz

I wonder where she got that huge ironing board. I have seen the plans to make a rectangular top but never one as big as used in the video. I, too, will try this method particularly on smaller quilts.

I have a padded table that is 96" x 60" which I used when I customed draperies, bedspeads, etc. It is about 36" high, so no weary back. Now it is my table for basting and ironing, etc. large pieces of fabric. You are all invited to come and use same. Quilting friends will call and ask to use the table and it is easier to stretch the layers w/two people.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:40 AM

I use my cutting table and do the quilt in sections.
Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I've done mine on a folding table. i have a six foot flat board that I use to fold my top onto and flip up until out of my way. spray and unfold and press down each time. then move quilt and do other end. then the ends until it is all done. my table is a folding picnic type. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:37 PM

In my sewing room in my house, I had the luxury of a table that held a top my ex made from a 4x8 foot plywood sheet. I would use the big clamps (have my own "clean" set) that are used in woodworking, etc- you can get them at Home Depot. Placed the backing on table, smoothed out and clamped, them same with batting and topper. I pin everything rather than glue-baste and I have not had any issues with wrinkles or pleats.
Attached Thumbnails img_0609.jpg