Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layering a large quilt >

Layering a large quilt

Layering a large quilt

Old 11-15-2016, 01:11 PM

Default Layering a large quilt

I had a bad time layering a scrap quilt which is 84 x 96. I just could not keep the back from wrinkles while glueing to the batting. HB was helping me but it is not to good. I finished with the spray basting and that worked a little better. I decided i am not making anything bigger than a trow or baby quilt and if I do I will quilt it by check. That was really a work out. 5 tables and you could not even reach across.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

I've done mine on a folding table. i have a six foot flat board that I use to fold my top onto and flip up until out of my way. spray and unfold and press down each time. then move quilt and do other end. then the ends until it is all done. my table is a folding picnic type. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:53 PM

Don't get discouraged. You will get the hang of it. I've been doing this a long time and still have problems. Have you tried Quilt As You Go? I love to do quilts this way. Goes pretty fast after you get yourself into it.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

Quilting by check is fine. I have a big top waiting about 96 X 96 and it will have to wait for nice weather in the spring. I am going to put on my knee pads and do it on our cement driveway. I bet the neighbors are going to get a chuckle out of that.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:22 AM

I pin or thread baste - no glue/spray so I don't know if the process would be different. I use my cutting table (like the ones you see at JAF) regardless of quilt size. I get my backing centered and then use binder clips to hold that in place. Do the same for the batting and top eventually having all 3 layers clamped. I then baste that center section. When that is complete, I shift the whole shebang whichever way and repeat the process.

Since I don't spray/glue, I don't know if you could follow the same process or not. I would guess with glue but maybe not so much for the spray.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:02 AM

For my next quilt I am getting it basted by a long armer using water soluble thread! I don't have a place big enough to even put a queen or king sized quilt except on the floor, and I just can't crawl around on the floor any more. My sit down quilter does fine with the big quilts when I get it on the machine, but I just won't sandwich one ever again. A friend does long arm work, and she is willing to just do a simple grid every 3-4 inches. The tension doesn't have to be perfect, just enough to hold the quilt together. I have seen other long armers that advertise basting services too. I really like quilting my quilts myself, just to make them wholly mine. I don't feel the same attachment to sandwiching <grin>.

Pam
Old 11-16-2016, 06:17 AM

I use NJ Quilters method also. I pin baste. This method has the big advantage that you are not crawling around the floor, so easy on the back. It helps to have a table you can stand at. I use a table with crates underneath. I use it for cutting,ironing and basting. I've never had wrinkles in any of the quilts and I am not a meticulous quilter. I know this method wouldn't work with spray basting and I don't think it would work for glue basting. You can have several people pinning at once. Make sure you get the safety pins made for this. Pinmoors might be good too. The pinning is hard on the hands.

After you pin you can either stitch in the ditch to anchor it or baste by machine. I've basted with water soluble thread.

Its time consuming but but it works.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:55 AM

We just recently had this discussion on various basting methods. Lots of helpful info!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...r-t283288.html
Old 11-17-2016, 04:27 AM

I glue basted a large quilt recently using 2 banquet tables and an ironing board. I did have some challenges reaching parts but not shifting. I put the glue on the batting which is more stable and then lay the fabric over that. It does help to have someone on the other side of the table. I would glue a section, let it dry and then move the batt and backing to another spot on the table and repeat. Did the same for the top.

Are you putting the glue on the material or the batting? That makes a big difference for me.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:29 AM

Check out the Youtube video by Paula Storm. I have converted to this method and use it all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPedPf4hdVY