Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 63

Thread: Lesson I learned today

  1. #11
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,750
    Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish
    And hopefully you'll never have problems with bleeding, either. :)
    I always figured for the bleeding, that the color catchers will keep that from happening??
    Color catchers don't stop the bleeding. They just pick the dye up out of the wash water.

    Honestly though, if another fabric doesn't pick that loose dye up it's not a problem.

  2. #12
    Senior Member LLWinston44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    N California
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish
    And hopefully you'll never have problems with bleeding, either. :)
    I always figured for the bleeding, that the color catchers will keep that from happening??
    Color catchers don't stop the bleeding. They just pick the dye up out of the wash water.

    Honestly though, if another fabric doesn't pick that loose dye up it's not a problem.
    Oh whew!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!! :o)

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    26
    I zig-zag the raw edges and you have less waste from washing. Also if it is zig-zagged you know it was washed.
    Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44
    No, I'm not a pre-washer. When I took my first class at my LQS they advised us NOT to, and so I have gotten in the habit of not, and up until now it's never been a problem.
    I did once, before that first class, wash all my fabric (in preparation FOR the class)and it was a disaster!!! It all frayed HORRIBLY and also I had SO much waste when squaring it up to get ready to cut! So since then, since I've had good results from not pre-washing, I've stuck with that.

    I did just go and spray a piece of the fabric with water and it did shrink. I'll just have to start making sure I starch before I cut.

    Oh, and it's most definitely 100% cotton. The shrinking actually happened right in front of my eyes AS I sprayed it, but from what I read above, the heat must have shrunk it more. ugh.

  4. #14
    Super Member LivelyLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    2,645
    I always starch my fabric before cutting and I continue to starch every step of the way.....and I don't prewash :D

  5. #15
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,750
    Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    I always starch my fabric before cutting and I continue to starch every step of the way.....and I don't prewash :D
    :thumbup:

  6. #16
    Kas
    Kas is offline
    Super Member Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish
    And hopefully you'll never have problems with bleeding, either. :)
    I always figured for the bleeding, that the color catchers will keep that from happening??
    Color catchers don't stop the bleeding. They just pick the dye up out of the wash water.

    Honestly though, if another fabric doesn't pick that loose dye up it's not a problem.
    Oh whew!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!! :o)
    Problem is, you never know which fabric is gonna do it to ya. I just washed a bunch of black & white fabric. One of the lighter ones picked up the loose black. Now it is grayer instead of crisp black & white. Another one that had even more white that was in the same load came out still bright white. I think it's a crap shoot whether you prewash or not. I still do it to lessen my chances though!

  7. #17
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish
    And hopefully you'll never have problems with bleeding, either. :)
    I always figured for the bleeding, that the color catchers will keep that from happening??
    Color catchers don't stop the bleeding. They just pick the dye up out of the wash water.

    Honestly though, if another fabric doesn't pick that loose dye up it's not a problem.
    Oh whew!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!! :o)
    Problem is, you never know which fabric is gonna do it to ya. I just washed a bunch of black & white fabric. One of the lighter ones picked up the loose black. Now it is grayer instead of crisp black & white. Another one that had even more white that was in the same load came out still bright white. I think it's a crap shoot whether you prewash or not. I still do it to lessen my chances though!
    I'll bet if you wash it a couple more times the loose black dye will wash out. It's still not set.

  8. #18
    Senior Member AudreyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Posts
    431
    Blog Entries
    5
    If you cut a little diagonal piece off the corners, it won't ravel as much when you wash it. It still ravels some, but not as much.

  9. #19
    Senior Member LLWinston44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    N California
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by AudreyB
    If you cut a little diagonal piece off the corners, it won't ravel as much when you wash it. It still ravels some, but not as much.
    Oh!!!!!! Good to know!!!!!!

  10. #20
    Lilyized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oakley, CA
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by AudreyB
    If you cut a little diagonal piece off the corners, it won't ravel as much when you wash it. It still ravels some, but not as much.
    Ohhhh! Great idea.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.