Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lonestar quilt questions >

Lonestar quilt questions

Lonestar quilt questions

Old 05-19-2014, 09:05 PM

Default Lonestar quilt questions

Hello, I am planning on starting a Lonestar quilt sometime this summer, and thought I should ask questions b-4 I start (and mess up)! Novel concept huh hehe

I'm using a pattern that was given to me, and I think I want to use wider strips than the pattern calls for to make it a bit bigger. I'm wondering, what size strips do you usually use? I think the pattern calls for 2 1/2" strips and ends up 36" square. I'd like something that ends up more like 45" square, so I imagine if I just use 3 1/2" strips It'd be plenty big enough.

Also, I'm thinking of using 5 fabrics in the star, is that a good number?

Also, I'd love any tips on this pattern you may have.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:29 AM
Power Poster

you might be better off starting your first lone star following the pattern- once you see how it all comes together you will be better 'equipped' to modify it for a future project. it's one of those patterns that does not necessarily just work if you simply increase the size of the strips. I think my last lone star (54") I used 7 fabrics ,,, or maybe it was 9, now I can not remember- will have to get it out later & look. follow the pattern and work out all the (glitches) learn the pattern- then choose the fabrics you want for your larger one. there are patterns for them in many different sizes- or you could draft it out on graph paper before diving in. to choose how many fabrics, your colors you could copy the picture of the lone star, print it off in gray scale- then color it with colored pencils or markers to see how your colors/choices will work.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

One of the first quilts I made was from Eleanor Burns Radiant Star book. She goes step by steps thru how best to sew the strips together, and the important steps with sewing the the large diamonds and the background inserts.

The number of fabrics usually has bearing on how many diamonds are in one side. EB had 5 diamonds and I have made a Broken Star with 7 diamonds. My only hint that I came up with was to do a life size drawing on cardboard of the diamond. Then you can compare each diamond segment and make any corrections before sewing them together. You really have to be so precise with each step otherwise you won't have perfect points. Good Luck
Old 05-20-2014, 05:09 AM

My big tip is to use plenty of spray starch. You will be working with bias edges on this quilt. It looks a lot harder than it actually is. The starch will help it all fall into place a lot easier. If you get your pieces get stretched, pin at the seams, spray and holding the iron above your pieces, steam it back into submission.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:54 PM

I'm making a 6 color Radiant Star with corner stars quilt right now from EB's book. I added extra length panels & borders so mine will be 102" x 92" completed. One major thing is to keep your seams at 1/4 inch. This pattern doesn't allow for any wider seams, not even the width of your needle or it can throw off the other seams. Pin, pin, pin. Did I mention pin? LOL. I don't use starch. I do use a walking foot.

Good luck & hope your quilt turns out beautiful .
Old 05-21-2014, 10:36 AM

You might also look at some other lone star variation patterns. Calico Carriage and I think Buggy Barn also have a lone star that is all done with 1/2 sq triangles. If using fabrics with small prints it is hard to tell it isn't done with diamonds.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:57 PM

I've only made two lone-stars (one is incomplete) ... I paper-pieced them. the diamonds are roughly 1/4" wide.

You CAN paper-piece lone star. You piece one blade at a time, one row at a time. Your PP paper needs to have a smudge over 1/2" "blank" line between each of the rows. After you fill the blade with all of your diamonds row-by-row you then "fold" the blank and sew along the lines of rows to join them into a blade. Then you join all the blades.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:29 PM

i whole heartedly second the pressing/starch recommendation.

be very careful with those strips. the way error multiplies across this quilt can be quite disastrous.

but! with care and attention to every detail, it is one of my favorite quilts

good luck!

aileen
Old 05-22-2014, 01:32 PM

Can't give you much advice because I decided to make a lonestar as my first quilt and it was a disaster; first the material was very loose and flimsy, second I couldn't get the very center star to line up so it was put away for many, many years. I finally dug it out and took it to an Amish lady who put the top together for me. I think I would have ended up throwing it out because the aggravation was just not worth it. Please go slowly on yours and take it step by step and make sure all your seams are exactly the same size. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:17 PM

https://www.bellarosequilts.com/medi...re_revised.pdf