Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm help please >

Long arm help please

Long arm help please

Old 02-27-2016, 06:24 PM
ket

Default Long arm help please

I am a new long arm quilter. I have a quilt on the frame and started quilting the first row. I think I need to add more quilting. Can I go back and unroll a little way and add more in the first border? Will I mess up by unrolling and how far can I go and still unroll and roll back up without messing up? I hope this makes sense. Also is there such a thing as too little quilting? I appreciate any feedback just still learning.
Thanks

Ket
Old 02-27-2016, 06:32 PM

Yes, you can roll/unroll--but make sure you have basted down the sides first and also if you are going to do much of that, like with custom quilting, you will probably want to also do some SID to stablize it so the qult doesn't twist or torque on the frame. I will roll/unroll when I'm switching between thread colors (as long as it's not a show quality quilt because I worry it will get out of square). As far as too little quilting--that depends on your batting. It should saw what the minimum is. personally, I love to quilt so much that I don't think you can ever have enough--but not everyone agrees with that!
Old 02-27-2016, 07:31 PM

I do a lot of rolling & backing up. Especially if my bobbin messes up. I do all my ripping from the top, which means rolling the quilt until I can stand up and do the ripping. Then I have to roll it backwards to quilt it again. I do whatever it takes to quilt the piece. When I do the borders as a different pattern, I have been known to take the whole quilt off and turn it so I can quilt it easier. The key is to have it stabilized so it stays together for you. There are a lot of good Youtube videos about quilting out there.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 02-27-2016 at 07:33 PM.