Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm machines >

Long arm machines

Long arm machines

Old 01-10-2017, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
The Juki LA is simply a rebranded Tin Lizzie. They are the same manufacturer and the same machine, the only difference is that it has a Juki logo. Much like the baby lock longarms are rebranded Handiquilters. You may just be trading your problems in for the same.
Are you sure? They look totally different. The Tin Lizzy has a much shorter harp height than the Juki, and the controls are different ... well ... EVERYTHING is different. No. These cannot be the same machines. Are you thinking of another manufacturer perhaps??

I have the Juki and yes, I'm happy with it, but I have it in the sit down version (identical machine to the frame version). Things I like .... hand wheel up front where you can reach it to easily and precisely position the needle down, fantastic lighting, low maintenance (only one oiling point). I've not had any problems with tension *yet* but I've only thrown 50wt Aurifil at it so far. The bobbin can be a bit hard to reach if you have larger/shorter fingers, my husbands fat fingers can't get in there to grasp the bobbin so make sure you take it out and re-insert it to make sure it's a comfortable fit. I don't use the thread cutter, not a fan as it cuts the thread too short. I've not had a problem with the presser foot interfering with ruler work, but I've only done a little bit of ruler work.

That said ... I HIGHLY recommend you go out there and try as many machines as you possibly can. Take notes of the features of both the machine AND THE FRAMES (the frame is every bit as important as the machine!!) that you like, that you hate, and that are nice but you can do without. Make note of the prices, and the location of the dealers. Is close proximity of a dealer important to you for set-up, training, and servicing? If so, this can narrow the manufacturers you look at.

Paducah is coming up and you will find all of the major players there, as well as a few smaller manufacturers that you've never heard of. Try all of the machines. If there is a special *unusual* thread that you like to work with - bring some and ask them if you can load it.

I went to 3 different larger shows and I liked the Innova the best. Just my personal opinion - it's a wonderful machine. That said, my situation at that time was weird - I didn't have the space at home for a long arm, but did have space at our business location. Given that I wouldn't be on the machine every day to practice, and given that I had never *worked* on a frame/long arm (other than test driving machines) I wasn't sure if a frame/long arm was *right* for me and I didn't want to lay out the price of a vehicle for a machine that I might not be suited to. So I bought a used long arm and set it up at my husbands shop, then I *rarely* went there to use it, then I bought the sit-down machine. I now have a new house, and a new sewing room that can fit ALL of my sewing toys - so once I bring the machines down to the new house I hope to play on the long arm a lot more. If I like it and prove to be good at it ... I'll upgrade to the Innova.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Are you sure? They look totally different.
Oops, my apologies, you are so right, it is the Janome, not the Juki that is a rebranded Tin Lizzie. I always get those two names confused.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Oops, my apologies, you are so right, it is the Janome, not the Juki that is a rebranded Tin Lizzie. I always get those two names confused.
Ahhh ... that makes sense. I see the resemblance.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Banned

Have any of you seen the new Handi Quilter domestics? I first saw them last summer and as soon as I walked into the shop and laid eyes on them I said those are Janomes aren't they? My dealer just smiled at me and said she wasn't privy to the manufacturer. And smiled again.

Cari
Old 01-11-2017, 06:23 AM

Thank you some much again for the responses! I am going to shop around at the show in march. I do like the Juki the crown royal is awesome but also 18,000.00. I can't justify that kind of money for a home use machine. I have my fancy 10 needle embroidery machine. That I do use to make some extra $$. Happy sewing ladies!
Old 01-15-2017, 09:39 AM

I was fortunate to purchase a HQ 18. It is easy to use, has a great glide touch and handles all of my quilt sizes. When the thread breaks, it is usually because of improper threading or the needle is too small for the thread itself.
I have had no issues with it at all.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:00 AM

I have a Viking MegaQuilter 18x8... which is a rebranded Tin Lizzie.

I agree with PaperPrincess's comments, especially about having an older frame (which me and hubby figured out a deadbar for mine anyway).

Some people have had success using the Towa tension thingy for their bobbin and top tension.

One thing I recommend, is to use dental floss occasionally to clean between the tension disc's on the top. Also, check that your spring-thing (the little flat metal piece) inside your bobbin case is seated correctly. If this gets unseated, it will cause havoc with your bobbin tension. Also, on the top tension, don't be afraid to turn-turn-TURN that knob until you get things "just right".

Those are just some things right off the top of my head. You can PM me with more specific questions, pics, etc if you want to.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:24 AM

what kind of trouble are you having??? Are you doing fmg or stitch regulated??
Old 02-15-2017, 03:17 PM

Often I would forget to lower the foot on my Tin Lizzie. Most longarms do not have them, but Tin Lizzies do