Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long-arm question >

Long-arm question

Long-arm question

Old 09-19-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by nancylee
Thanks, Judy and Carol, Yes, I would of course be honest with people about my skill level, and I would also love to take a long-arm class if I could find one. I find it relaxing and fun, much more fun than pushing my big quilts through the neck of my Janome. I end up with such neck and shoulder aches!!

I will let you know if I can figure out a way to buy the one I am looking at!! Thank you!
Nancy
I would also love to take some classes even though I don't have a long arm. We have one store here that offers machine quilting but it's always on Sundays when I work. We had one store that got a long arm in and was supposed to be sending someone to class but I guess it didn't work out because they sold thier long arm. I wish you all the luck in the world and hopefully you'll find some classes that you can take. The good thing is that alot of people buy the long arm before learning how to do it and then try to do the business and decide it's not for them. At least you are learning first; maybe your friend could rent you time on hers to do others quilts so you could help afford your own long arm and gain experience at the same time.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:56 PM

Hi,
That is great to know - I am up near Lake George, NY, pretty far from NJ. I love your story!!! If you do sell up here, let me know,
Thank you,
Nancy
Old 09-19-2011, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the great idea, Judy!! I can try to use my friend's if she will let me!! I can then save up for my own!! Thanks!
nancy
Old 09-19-2011, 01:30 PM

Oh yeah...you're a little further North Then I was thinking for some reason! So you're really in the area of the dealer from Vt. We'd still help if you wanted. So we'll look forward to seeing you if you ever take a road trip! Happy Quilting!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:02 PM

I've taken classes from the best of the best for longarming and I really think that for the most part you just need to go for it..do lots of reading, watching clips on you-tube. Loved my classes with Karen McTavish..most of the others were good too. But most of them will tell you what I said above. Classes just give you a little more confidence in your own ability.
And I agree with Kathyaire.