Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm quilters I have a question... >

Long arm quilters I have a question...

Long arm quilters I have a question...

Old 06-03-2016, 06:43 PM

Default Long arm quilters I have a question...

I now have my new long arm machine set up on the 12 foot frame but have no quilt tops to start. I do how ever have three already sandwiched ( with Elmer's washable school glue) quilts waiting to be quilted. I know - why did I sandwich them when I was going to get a long arm - bad timing is all I can say. The question is can I just attach my quilt with pins to the leaders for the usual to and then attach it to the pick up roller and then quilt? I like to test the limits of all my equipment - in theory this should work in my mind but I have never quilted anything on a long arm.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:06 PM

In theory, yes. But, I have to ask, have you quilted anything on it yet? Even a length of practice fabric/batting/backing? My thought is that I would want to make sure I've got the nuts and bolts down, making sure everything is running smoothly with my newly set up machine. Then, do any of your friends have a quilt they'd like you to do for them? You can test some more...
I'm not a pro, by any means, but I have used a long arm for several quilts over the past year+. Let's think this through a bit.
There could be some potential issues with the pre-sandwiched, glued quilts, I would imagine. #1- were the quilts sandwiched from the center out, or at least carefully layered so as to not stretch the fabrics and create bubbles and creases? If they're pretty flat, and you don't load too taut or too loose, it could work. But, you do risk stitching puckers into the quilt. #2-How much glue did you use? Could there be an issue of buildup on the needle that might cause drag on the thread and possible breakage as you quilt?
#3-Is there a possibility you could soak the quilts to separate the layers? (I say with a little squint and a cringe...LOL)
Old 06-03-2016, 07:33 PM

KCMom raises some very good cautions. As a LAer, I would suggest you buy some really cheap fabric (at least 4 yd) and then play with this new machine figuring it all out. I would not suggest that you just go ahead and pin your glued sandwiches on to quilt--several questions: do the sandwichs have enough extra backing to actually pin to leaders AND to use your side clamps? I would not want to worry about a needle "sticking" in any glue globs and either breaking or possibly throwing off the timing of the LA, personally. Since it's likely washable glue, can you use a spray bottle and detach the top/bat/backing? Even if you have to really wet the back and top and end up tossing the bat (although you may be able to soak and then put in dryer depending on bat) I would suggest you do that. The extra hassle will be worth it in long run in my opinion.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Banned

Long armers who know what they're doing will probably say this isn't a good idea, but here's what I did last week with a quilt sandwich that had been thread basted. I sewed an 8" strip of muslin to all 4 sides of the quilt sandwich, then loaded it on my longarm that way. I pinned the top muslin to the backing leader and just floated the whole quilt until i got down to the last pass when I just pinned the bottom muslin to the leader rolled on the bar. It actually worked better than I thought it would. The quilt has a minky backing and was heavy enough that it floated just fine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]551515[/ATTACH]
The pic is sideways, the muslin strips are actually on the sides of the quilt. I already tore the top and bottom strips off.
Here's a couple pics of the quilting, the red and light green is the thread basting.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]551517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]551518[/ATTACH]

Cari
Attached Thumbnails s5032474.jpg   s5032475.jpg   s5032477.jpg  

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 06-03-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:44 PM

OK ladies I want a long arm so bad I can taste it. The problem is I cant afford one on our disability salary. I have been seeing a Tin lizzie 18 for about 4. There is also an Empress for around 3500. Do any of you have these machines or know someone who does?I'm not looking to go into business I just want to do a good job on mine. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:54 PM

I have a Gammil since 2004. We were taught to load muslin, top and bottom with batting inbetween and practice, practice, practice!!!!!!! If you are brave enough save these for future reference to see how far you have come!
Old 06-04-2016, 01:24 AM

KCmom's answers are spot on. I wouldn't load those pre-glued quilts unless you really don't like them. You need to get used to how your machine handles, first! This is why you always load a piece of muslin to practice on before you start on a quilt you've spent hours piecing. If you don't, your first LA'd quilts will probably be a mess while you're learning. Waste muslin, not a beautiful quilt top!
Old 06-04-2016, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

I agree, KCMom raises some very good suggestion to be careful. I would mount some fabric you wished you hadn't bought and start practicing on your new LA. Then cut it up into small sections, binding them and donate them to your local shelters. They are always in need of bedding for the animals they rescue. It will be a win win situation. You get some practice, purge some awful fabric from your stash and an animal will have something comfortable to lay on to take a nap!
Old 06-04-2016, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

I really recommend you start with a couple pieces of fabric ( I buy inexpensive muslin for practice) some batting and do some practicing Before starting a ( real) quilt. There is a learning curve & you need to do some practicing . Unless the quilts you have ready you don't mind ( messing up). The first year I had my long arm I practiced for probably a month every day before loading a real, pieced quilt, then every time I finished one & didn't have another waiting I would load up another practice sandwich & ( play) until I had another ( real) one to quilt again. These practice quilts are some of the most fun quilts I've made. Sometimes my granddaughters would love one just unloaded, I would either bind it or zigzag around it then give it to them, they would grab fabric markers & go to town- coloring the quilt. They made picnic quilts, beach quilts, fort quilts....some of the practice ones I cut up into appropriate ( kennel quilt) sizes, finished the edges & donated to the local animal shelter. They all had a use after all the practice
Old 06-04-2016, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

I agree with practicing first. In addition to ckcowl's suggested uses for these pieces, I've also made tote bags. Actually, practicing is a good idea before starting to quilt on any machine, domestic or a long arm. Don't start with a quilt top you care about. In addition to building muscle memory, you are a lot less tense working on something you don't care about. In addition to using yardage, you can use LOW COUNT sheets from the thrift store. You can also quilt a practice piece, and if you are not thrilled, just put another piece of fabric on top and have another go. Use different color thread in the top and bobbin from the first time so you can easily determine your tension.