Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long arm quilting ? >

long arm quilting ?

long arm quilting ?

Old 09-21-2014, 06:46 AM

Default long arm quilting ?

I just need some practical advice. I know that this answer may vary from quilter to quilter. I promise that I am not going to use anyone's advice to argue with anyone else. How much bigger does the backing need to be when sending a top to a long arm quilter? In retrospect I should have considered this before now. I specifically ordered wide backing so that I wouldn't have to piece the back (I've had enough of a challenge with the top). I ordered extra fabric so that I would "have enough" for back and borders... I cut the borders incorrectly....now I will only have about 9 inches extra top & side (total 9 on side/9 on top.) Is this even "workable"? If I am going to need to order more fabric, I may reconsider my borders. Does this make sense at all? I really don't know what I am talking about. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2014, 06:47 AM

Most of the ones I have seen require 8" wider/longer than the top.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:52 AM

I think you should ask your LA quilter for her requirements. Mine says 3-5" extra on all 4 sides, but I am guessing they vary.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:01 AM

Your quilt back should be fine.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:05 AM

I would think it would be fine, most I've seen (and needed myself) is 3-4" on all sides. BUT check with your LA as it will depend on what kind of leaders and side clamps she/he is using.

I just brought one to an LA that required 4" (it's too big for my frame). I was able to find 115" fabric which meant I would only have 3.5" on the sides and she was OK with that.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

if your LAQ needs more, ask them if you can sew temporary extra width/length
Old 09-21-2014, 07:16 AM

As Jeanne says, you need 3-5" extra on all four sides. The reason the longarmer needs the extra is to allow pinning to the roller canvases top and bottom. On the sides the extra is needed to allow for clamping the sides to hold the quilt taut(but not too taut). I have quilted even if the sides of the backing are exactly the same measure as the top but it can be tricky as you have to sew very carefully around the clamps.
So, it sounds like your 9" top and side(giving you 4.5" each on four sides) will work fine.

By-the-way, if you are ever short of fabric on an edge you can add a strip of scrap fabric that can be removed later. With this method you do need an inch of backing fabric to add the scrap strip to so you would not affect the top(otherwise you'd have to trim some of the top). I usually have enough extra beyond the top that I can just cut off the excess but sometimes I've so little extra backing beyond the top I had to remove the stitches of the scrap strip to release it. When I sew the scrape on I use a large stitch which will be easier to remove later. I don't like to do it this way but it has worked for me a few times and allows you to use the backing and not have to get another.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:42 AM

Oh my gosh, thanks for all the answers. I am so new to this that most of the time I don't even know what to ask until it's too late. I call all of that "lesson learned". I am relieved that my backing may work. I will speak specifically to the quilter when I find one. Thanks again!
Old 09-21-2014, 07:44 AM

Each longarmers requirements are different and from my experienced the answer is based on the actual machine. I have a voyager 17 and because of the size of the base and the size of my side clips, I can go with a min of 6" but like 8".

I have done what selm has suggested - added muslin to the sides and or top and bottom to get the distance I need.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Each long arm quilter has their own policy concerning this... It is best to contact the quilter you plan to send your quilt to and ask how much they require. I always ask for 5" all the way around ( so, a 70" X 80" quilt would require a backing at least 80" X 90"). But, I have had plenty of quilts come in with less (and a few with a lot more) different frames, leaders and the way a person does things all factor in So, only your quilter can tell you what you need