Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Long Arm

Long Arm

What is the least expensive long arm machine?
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

Probably the best way to get a long arm that is low priced is to buy a used machine. I would only buy from someone close enough to go and try the machine out and even have them come to my home to help set it up and give basic lessons on how to use it. Also, watch local stores, and online dealers who are having sales. Good luck finding what you want.

Tin Lizzie was when I check into it.

I agree with Alleyoop, there is a lot more to making the decision on a machine than price alone. Take your time, and look around a lot. We bought a Canon printer/scanner based on a lot of research and though we paid a bit more than some, the fact that you can call the company and talk right away to a person in Virginia who you can understand was well worth the cost. A long arm requires a lot of learning, so getting it from someone who will be there for you, and one that will do quality work for you, is worth a lot.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

You would probably be comparing apples to oranges if you look for the cheapest. There is a wide range of throat sizes, cabinets, quality, options available. Also some consider a 15" throat a longarm, while others call that a midarm and define longarm as 18" or greater.

I bought mine used, Pfaff Grand Quilter, 15" throat and it has done well. Have had it now about 5 yrs and it still works well.

research and see which one will work best for you.

Good luck, delma

Go to one of the larger quilt shows and try them out. The frame is a part of the cost as well. There is a real variety out there and there are added costs like computers, design boards, microhandels, etc. It is also very important to find a dealer to service your machine that is not too far away. For me, the class that was provided was the best thing. I went for 4 full days and came away feeling confident and I have taken off with my machine trying all sorts of new things.
    Best of luck.
    Beth in Maryland

Baileys are pretty cheap

I bought my tin lizzie 18 that was my dealers demo model. Saved a ton of money

Quote Originally Posted by Normabeth View Post
    What is the least expensive long arm machine?
    What size? I am assuming you mean bare bones.New or used?