Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
longarm tension >

longarm tension

longarm tension

Old 06-19-2011, 07:24 AM

OK......I'm STILL learning. When your top quilt stitches have railroad tracks, and your tension looks fine underneath the quilt, is your top tension too tight or too loose? Thanks once again!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

Sorry.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:38 AM

Too tight on top. You might also slow down as this can cause eyelashes on curves.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Banned

Too tight. If it helps, think about what you are seeing. If the bobbin thread is being pulled to the top of the quilt, then the upper thread is winning the tug of war race.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:48 AM

I agree, top tension is too tight.
Tommie
Old 06-19-2011, 09:15 AM

Here is a helpful guide for you.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...-tension-works
Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 AM

KathyAire...thanks for the helpful article. I have saved it for future reference.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:11 PM

Tension too loose, back off a bit. That happened to me when I got my long arm. Just takes lots of practice even though your scared to touch anything, let alone a tension screw. Are you using a 3 piece sandwich to practice on? I did many many of them before I was at ease with it. Have had my machine since 2009, no such problems now. I also found out using a "Bobbin Genie" made all the difference in the world in my tension, Chotilda.com
( spelling wrong but you know them I'm sure) has them and you want the big sized package same as your bobbins you buy. It goes in before your bobbin so your bobbin sits on the Bobbin Genie. I've only used 2 so far from the pkg. I bought. You see the results right off. One lady told me about them and has her first one still in her bobbin case after 2-3 yrs. Give it a try.
Shirley
Old 06-19-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by jigs1354
Tension too loose, back off a bit. That happened to me when I got my long arm. Just takes lots of practice even though your scared to touch anything, let alone a tension screw. Are you using a 3 piece sandwich to practice on? I did many many of them before I was at ease with it. Have had my machine since 2009, no such problems now. I also found out using a "Bobbin Genie" made all the difference in the world in my tension, Chotilda.com
( spelling wrong but you know them I'm sure) has them and you want the big sized package same as your bobbins you buy. It goes in before your bobbin so your bobbin sits on the Bobbin Genie. I've only used 2 so far from the pkg. I bought. You see the results right off. One lady told me about them and has her first one still in her bobbin case after 2-3 yrs. Give it a try.
Shirley
Old 06-19-2011, 01:37 PM

Shirley, you said the tension was too loose, others said too tight when you have rr tracks or eyelashes.????? Yes, I always practice on a sandwich quilt just like my quilt ie...same fabric, batting, etc. And, I did buy the bobbin genies and they did help. I've even bought the Towa bobbin gauge, and that seems to help some. But, of course, if you're not using superior threads, you don't have a good guideline to go by. I have some connecting threads that I like to use....their Essential Pro, too. I always use Bottom Line in my bobbin. I spend more time on trying to get my tension correct than I do quilting a queen size quilt!! It's that bad!!! It always seems to be with my top tension.....VERY hard to get to the right point!!! And lots of times, I'll be doing just fine, and then it's all over with!! So frustrating. And, I always check for a piece of lint, thread, etc...I keep it oiled and cleaned with every bobbin change. I've tried every tip I have received, and seems like the same ole problem every time I quilt a new quilt. By the time I finally get one done, I'm completely exhausted, but very proud of my quilt.....FINALLY!!