Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for advice on buying a used machine from the owner >

Looking for advice on buying a used machine from the owner

Looking for advice on buying a used machine from the owner

Old 09-28-2014, 08:51 AM

Default Looking for advice on buying a used machine from the owner

I've seen a listing on Kijiji (Canadian Craig's List) for a Pfaff Ambition 1.5 sewing machine that is 2 years old and allegedly has been used "lightly".

I'd really like to replace my 35 year old Kenmore for something I can get serious about quilting with and after researching the machine itself I think I really want it. I've heard good things about Pfaff but there is no local Pfaff service/repair place and I won't have any warranty.

I want to be sure that I'm getting a machine that works properly. Almost anything is going to impress me after my old clunker. If you were going to check out a sewing machine at someone's house what steps would you take to test it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:24 AM

Make it clear you want to "test drive" it so seller is prepared with space, power outlets
Bring your own thread and fabrics - at least three different textures that you usually sew with
Ask to see the manual, then check all the maintenance points for lint etc
Try filling a bobbin, threading, sew different stitches
Ask seller to show off the features and try them out
When was machine last serviced (receipt?)
Old 09-28-2014, 10:12 AM

When I'm interested in buying a used machine, I bring my own supplies, just like SuzzyQ says, and I "test drive" it. That way I know that it works and if I have any questions, hopefully the seller can answer them. Rarely has the machine been serviced so I pretty much expect to take it in for servicing if something goes wacky but if I'm getting a really great deal, I don't mind doing that.

I've bought a couple "lightly used" machines, and they were just that. One was rarely used because the manual was missing when the gal bought it and she didn't know how to get a manual so she used it twice, put it back in the box, and there it sat for nearly 20 years. Another one I purchased was lightly used because the gal didn't buy the machine she really wanted, she compromised and then regretted it, so she ended up buying the one she wanted and sold the other one after only 6 months. Another machine I bought was "lightly used" because it was too high end for the buyer, she just couldn't figure it out, so she returned it to the store. That has been my primary sewing machine for the last 25 years. Lots of reasons a machine is "lightly used".

If you have a dealer in town that that fixes machines, they can probably service your machine. I have a variety of machines and my local dealer can service them all, high end or low end. And I live in a small town. You might want to check that out before you consider buying the Pfaff.

I own an older mechanical Pfaff and I owned a Pfaff Tiptronic at one time. Excellent machines.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

I don't like bring up the subject, but if you have NO dealer near you, where will you go for service??? Most good quality sewing machines such as a Bernina needs to be service about every year to 18 months.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:16 PM

There are several local places I can take it to be serviced, just no certified Pfaff place.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I don't like bring up the subject, but if you have NO dealer near you, where will you go for service??? Most good quality sewing machines such as a Bernina needs to be service about every year to 18 months.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely tell her on the phone that I want to "test drive" it but will bring my own thread and fabric and a little fabric sandwich as well. I don't mind if it's been serviced yet or not if it's truly been lightly used it may not need it yet and the price she's asking is so far below retail that I wouldn't mind eating that expense anyway. I guess I mostly just want to ensure that it's functioning properly. I've downloaded the manual so I'll take a few notes on how to try several features that I'm really interested in and switch to a bunch of different stitches. I've never even used a computerized machine before so this will be a big step up for me. I'm kind of both nervous and excited at the same time
Old 09-28-2014, 12:32 PM

I agree test drive it and make a list of what features you want on it. I have 2 Phaff's and one is down with a pc issue. I really like my older Kenmore machines for back up as they never fail. But try out all of the features when test driving the machine. Also, check to see if it is a 6mm machine or a 9 mm machine. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:33 PM

I would, at a minimum, test the straight stitch and zig-zag stitches.
Also test the reverse stitch, needle up/down feature, stitch length and width features.
Listen as you sew for noises that might indicate that something is wrong with the machine and ask the owner to explain.
Does a bobbin wind properly?
Does the light work?
Does it come with a straight stitch throat plate?
Is there an extension table?
Does it come with a walking foot? If not, how easy is it to get one, particularly with no dealer nearby and the age of the machine?
Can you drop the feed dogs? If so, does the machine come with a darning foot for free motion quilting? Depending on her asking price, availability of these items at purchase may be important to you since there is no dealer where you live.
Does the current owner still have the instruction manual that came with the machine?
Has the owner kept a file of all the service and repair work done throughout the machine's lifetime? If so, what service issues, if any, did it have?
Old 09-28-2014, 12:44 PM

I had to look up the 6mm - 9mm thing but I'm really glad you mentioned it. This is one of my main issues with the Kenmore - I can't adjust the needle position and I have no use of the right feed dog, which makes sewing an accurate 1/4" seam very difficult. I have to agree though, the Kenmore is a real workhorse. It doesn't do much but what it does it does well. I won't be getting rid of it.

Originally Posted by Carol Jean View Post
I agree test drive it and make a list of what features you want on it. I have 2 Phaff's and one is down with a pc issue. I really like my older Kenmore machines for back up as they never fail. But try out all of the features when test driving the machine. Also, check to see if it is a 6mm machine or a 9 mm machine. Good luck.