Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Problems >

Machine Problems

Machine Problems

Old 12-04-2010, 05:36 PM

Has anyone had this problem? I bought a new Smart by Pfaff (not a cheap machine). I had a Queen top about half done when I got the new machine. I finshed that top and started a baby quilt. I had no problem pieceing the top but when I started quilting it the thread balls up on the bottom side. It might sew 6 foot ball up 6 inches then go back to working fine. This is the first time I have tried quilting (my 3rd top). If this keeps up I will just make tops. I have read on this board about thread I am using a cone of polyester thread from JA. I have changed needles, changed thread, cleaned and recleaned the bobin area, rethreaded several times. My daughter told me about pulling my bobin thread through to the top when I start. Done that. When it is acting up sometimes it will run slowly without my foot on the pedal. I am going to take it back to the shop but it is just a timing thing.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

I would say if it is running without your foot on the pedal it is something that the dealer needs to figure out.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:44 PM

It's probably some easy thing like forgetting to lower the feed dogs or something. But since it is a new machine, take it in and have it checked. The dealer may be able to give you some special sewing instruction if it's not a mechanical thing.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:50 PM

When I had my Phaff I needed to use top quality thread.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:51 PM

Try a different thread on it. Sorry, but I think the thread you're using is very low quality.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:59 PM

Have the machine checked.
I have 2 Pfaffs love them both.
Have you checked tension? When threading your machine keep the presser foot up. Don't know why but this can make a difference with some machines.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:27 AM

I had my Mother's Kenmore after she passed away, and it kept doing that. Well, I didn't take it in to be checked and lo & behold the foot pedal caught fire(the wiring shorted out). It ended up costing me way more than it should have if I had taken the time to have it checked.
Now "When it doubt...Check it out"
Old 12-05-2010, 03:35 AM

I have two Pfaffs as well and they both "prefer" (lol) high quality thread. I use Presentia for piecing - never tried FMQ but SID all the time with it. I also have tried pre-wound bobbins in them with mixed results. They are great machines but are finicky. I would bring it in to be checked just in case.