Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which machine (s) are best - from a Beginner >

Which machine (s) are best - from a Beginner

Which machine (s) are best - from a Beginner

Old 02-18-2012, 04:00 PM

I would suggest going straight to a bernina dealer and trying out their machines first. I went through buying other brands because I just thought bernina was too expensive but the more times I used them at classes or used friends machines I found the expense was worth it. I gave my daughter my Viking Saphire and bought a bernina 550 and everyday I am glad I did. It was worth every penny and with the way a bernina is built it will last me 20-30 years. I believe bernina is the only machine not made in china now. Their bernette is made by a subsidiary and is made in china and I would not recommend it.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:36 PM

I think a small brother, they are inexpensive, lightweight, very user friendly, have loved all of mine. if you have a higher budget, I like the higher end brothers and babylocks. really its hard to say people love and hate all brands so you will get lots of opinions. I would try some out at a dealer to see what features you would like to have, also maybe hcekc yard sales or craigslist you can get some nice machines for cheap that people are trying to get rid of, and then save up for a nicer one untill you find out what you like and want in a machine. I was able to do all my tops on my low end brothers and saved up for my babylock espire. I was going to purchase a cheaper high end machine but I tried my machine and fell in love
Old 02-18-2012, 05:33 PM

If you have a quilt show nearby, visit it as you can try many machines, but as mentioned before, pick something with service nearby! You may not need repair, but many of those shops also have classes which can help you get the most out of your machine. My sister only uses Bernina, but that's also because of service options where she is. I have almost 30% off a Bernina 550QE if I choose one used at an upcoming quilt show. New out of box, used for three days of classes and sold for $1700 less. Still up there in price and I'm struggling to decide between that and a Husqvarna Viking (Tribute or Sapphire).
Old 02-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Check out Babylock machines.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:43 AM

Thank you all for your help - can you tell me the advantage of an electronic, and/or computerized machine might have over a manual?
Old 02-19-2012, 04:50 AM

You will only be a beginner for a short while. After that you will just be trying out new patterns, ideas, etc. BIG DIFFERENCE. Have you ever used a typewriter? The difference between a computerized sewing machine is about the same as the difference between using WORD and using a typewriter. Both can do the same thing depending on the skill of the person and the demands of the person. I can type a note on a typewriter that is as good as a note on Word. I can sew a straight line on a manual sewing machine as well as a computerized machine. However, I am not content to NOT learn anything new in sewing just as I am not content to still use a typewriter. I invested in a machine that I could learn to do everything I could imagine doing in the future. I can't say enough how much I recommend a computerized machine if you possibly think you want to learn anything except how to sew straight lines. It's like the age old question of bike or car? Both will get you there. In 1960 I bought a Pfaff that isn't out of date yet for fancy stitches and it made a manual straight stitch old fashioned. Computerized machines have buried my Pfaff in the dirt!

Last edited by TanyaL; 02-19-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:18 AM

I would definately recommend a Janome, especially if you are in the market for a lower priced machine. They have some really nice basic models available. If you have a little more money to spend go for a BERNINA, you will have it for years and years. Good Luck !
Old 02-19-2012, 05:21 AM

I have owned Sears Kenmore, Janome and Singer. I have had problems with all of them in one way or another. From talking to other people, quilters in my guild, relatives and reading online, if I could have anything I wished, I would buy a Bernina. They're expensive, but they're quality machines. I just don't believe you can beat them. I just ordered the small Bernina 46 to take to quilting retreats and workshops. It will be here next Wednesday; can't wait!
Old 02-19-2012, 06:07 AM

In your area you should have some machine dealers. Since your are starting out find one that has classes to go along with the machine. You can even find some beginner quilting classes from some LQS. My favorite things to quilt with are: 1/4in foot, needle up/down button, auto thread cut, auto tack stitch good lighting and auto threader can be great. If you are considering embroidery you might want to take into consideration the hoop size because that is where some of your limits will be at; some of them will only allow you to do a 4 x4 which is really small and if you don't plan on upgrading for quite sometime you might want to go at least one to 2 sizes bigger now. Try some different machines out; we all have our picks and what we like about them that makes them good for us.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 AM

When I first started I didn't want to spend alot since I didn't know if I'd even like quilting..so I got the brother CS6000i
and years later it is still a workhorse, super user friendly, under 200.00. I am going to upgrade to a laura ashley
quilting/embroidery but I know I will still use this little brother. It likes all threads, whereas the singer confident quilter I got as a gift is very touchy about thread and is sitting in its box!