Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Magnifier vs. Video Feed >

Magnifier vs. Video Feed

Magnifier vs. Video Feed

Old 11-27-2015, 09:10 PM

The USB microscope would probably work, as long as you get it angled right. I use a document camera at work as an alternative to writing on the whiteboard, and it works really well. It's basically just a little camera on a stand with a video out (HDMI or VGA) that we hook to a projector, monitor, etc. There is no delay, and it's pretty easy to learn to manipulate objects under the camera while watching the screen. I don't know how much it would cost, but they have come down in price substantially over the last few years. My only advice would be to find one with a video out instead of USB, so that you can attach it directly to a monitor.

Good luck - it can be hard to find solutions to mobility limitations, but it sounds like you're on the right track.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:35 AM

It just occurred to me that you could contact your local agency that deals with the sight impaired and ask if they have arranged something for one of their clients that might work for you. They might have experience with something along the lines you are considering and may be able to give you some advice.

Last edited by bjchad; 11-28-2015 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 11-28-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have two of these. One in my workshop tote and one on my machine at home. Most every one in a class sees mine and wants one, many go online while in class and orders one. My guild ordered a lot in one order and got a discount. Wonderful company and great customer service.
http://www.thebiglook.co/
thank you for that link. I had to laugh at the site though, their brevity reminds me of back when we sent telegrams and were charged the earth per word.

I am losing my vision at a fairly rapid rate, I'm going to ask my opthamologist to write me a prescription
Thank you again