Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
mailing a quilt >

mailing a quilt

mailing a quilt

Old 03-06-2015, 04:01 PM

If you're shipping FedEx to a residential address, you have to request a signature for delivery. Otherwise they just leave it. I've shipped UPS but only to people with PO boxes or to business addresses. So far haven't had any problems. And when I order things I have packages delivered to my work address rather than risk having them sit on the porch waiting for me to get home.

HouseDragon, I'm happy things turned OK with your sewing machine. You'd think the shipper would request a signature for delivery on something that valuable.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
Depending on the size/weight of the quilt you might want to opt for FedEx ground. You can track it all the way, add additional insurance it if you chose - and have it delivered directly to her home or office - whichever is more convenient (business address delivery is cheaper). I've used them nationally and internationally to send quilts - and knock wood, i've never had a single problem.
YOu can also do all that using the Post office. I prefer the USPS for sending and receiving packages. My mail is delivered at approximately the same time every day. I never know when FedEx or UPS will show up.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:59 PM

I always use UPS when sending large or expensive quilts, cheaper than the PO in many cases, the first $100 of insurance is free and getting more insurance costs less than the USPS.

I figure, there is a reason the PO charges more for insurance, they lose more packages. Also, having had to file claims with both, UPS is MUCH more customer friendly when dealing with an insurance claim. None of this "you have to wait 60 days" business.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

I also add the addresses of where it is going and where it is from inside the box, in a plastic baggie. If something happens to the package and the addresses get ruined, and it does happen, the carrier will have info on where it is going and can save the quilt from being lost.
peace
Old 03-06-2015, 08:27 PM

I hope you take pics of the quilts before you pack them. And I thought of another way to sign the quilts. Yes, the outside label on the quilt itself is important, but what happens if that label is taken off. When you have the quilt binding sewed on the front side, take time to sign it near the corners, or wherever you prefer, then you can cover that info up when you turn the binding to the back side. I think I will sign it on the quilt edge itself and not on the binding. I think this would be really good for those teachers who transport lots of quilts across the country. I certainly will do it on my future quilts.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

re: usps insurance. remember to keep all your receipts. Even though the nice clerk will insure your package for whatever you say, you can only collect for whatever you have receipts. You cannot collect anything for your time.
http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm#1097244
section 4.3 item ag.
Non Payable: Personal Time used to make hobby, craft, or similar handmade items.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

I really do wish I had thought of the "having to sign" part. On Sept. 24 I sent a quilt to my favorite news correspondent for his birthday (Oct. 1). I wrote him a letter on Dec 18, and sent an email to 48 Hours sometime after that. I finally got a letter on Feb 17 saying that he never got it. The post office said it was delivered on Sept 26. The time to collect on the insurance ran out on Nov. 24.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:33 AM

Remember that in order to collect on an insurance claim, you must have proof of value. In the case of a quilt that you made, that would mean sales receipts for the materials used, an appraisal from a certified appraiser, or, if shipping to a buyer, a copy of the invoice. Absent any proof, you'll usually get around $100.

Here are two good articles on shipping, the first is quilt specific, the second covers art in general.
http://www.quiltershomemag.com/artic...hip_your_quilt

http://www.surfacedesign.org/newsblo...g-your-artwork
Old 03-07-2015, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I would certainly attach to the quilt the address it is going to. My best friend made a baby quilt for her nephew's baby. She mail it in a USPS Flat envelope. Unfortunately, the only thing that arrived was the label off the envelope. I always use a glue stick and wrap the label with lots of tape (except where the tracking numbers are). I was lucky to have received a USPS flat envelope that had been ripped wide opened. It was sheer luck that it was intact because the seller had placed fabrics in a plastic bag but didn't close it. The fabric was undamaged even in it's tattered state with an apology from the USPS.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:51 AM

I don't like using FedEx or Ups, as they both leave the pkges outside the door, seldom ever knock or ring the door bell. Even now that I'm retired and home most of the day, I never know when they bring something unless I should hear their truck. I always prefer to send USPS and priority or required signature. I NEVER let them know what is inside, only that there is nothing perishable. if I'm sending clothes or fabric of any kind I usually put some little non breakable thing inside just to rattle, and let them know that there is nothing breakable, but that there may be a rattle. I've only sent one quilt, and thank goodness it arrived. I am finishing hand sewing the binding on a king size quilt now, and it will be going to DD as a gift from her to a friend,- she only lives 100 miles away, but will wait and take it - or send it with someone who is going to where she lives-a college town and lots here commute to school - too much time has been spent on it to worry if it will get there and she ordered all of the fabric online last spring. I also put the addressee's and sender's address inside pinned to garment or fabric I mail and TAPE well plus insure for over the amount of contents it seems.

Last edited by Gerbie; 03-08-2015 at 02:55 AM.