Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Major mistake quilting

Blog Entries

Unhappy Major mistake quilting

I have been sewing for thirty years and my husband just bought me a new viking sapphire a few months ago. I was free motion quilting for the first time and hit a safety pin. Tryed to sew with machine after that and it kept breaking needles. Took machine to repair shop and repairman said I bent the shaft on it, the timing is off and he would have to order some parts for it. I was trying to keep my fabric flat as I quilted instead of watching for safety pins. I have five quilts I need to quilt by xmas. Probably won't be done by then now. I really am upset about the whole thing. Has anyone else ever done anything like this?

so sorry about your machine
    Nancy

linda

I hope you get your machine back fast. I haven't had that happen, but can't say it won't. Have also been sewing for over thirty years, And would be lost without my machines. I use an old singer 66-16 for quilting can't beat them.. I'm still learning the free motion stuff doing table runners and table cloths and wall hangings for practice. The larger quilts I take to a LA. Most machines could possibly take hitting a stick pin, but a safety pin is another story. I'm saying a prayer that you will get the machine back in time to get your projects done.

Good Luck

Suzy

I have not, but have broken needles on regular pins. I have a fear of damaging the machine by that very thing

Thanks for the reminder to be diligent watching for pins!
    I hope the repair doesn't take too long or cost too much.

How frustrating. I hope you get the machine back quickly.

Quilting is my therapy

Haven't hit a pin, but was even dumber, forgot to change out a foot and did zig-zag stitch and hit the foot that shouldn't have been there. So I too bent the shaft on my Viking Emerald....I got it back with-in a few days but the cost was nasty!! Good Luck Linda, hopefully quick and not to expensive fix! ~deb~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    wow..are the shafts made of TIn foil???....how can then bend so easily..and on such spendy machines...sorry to hear that....

Blog Entries
    I quit using pins after I ruined my brand new Bernina walking foot (pricey accessory!) on one. The pin caught on the back of the foot and I didn't see it in time. It straightened out the spring inside the foot so the foot stopped working.

Now I spray baste all my quilts!!! Faster and easier than pin basting, plus I will never ruin another foot on a pin!

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry that your machine is hurting.  Wish you were closer as I would lend you one of mine since you have a deadline.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast