Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where do you buy your binding?

Where do you buy your binding?

I loathe making my own binding. I have been searching for a good place to by binding bty any ideas?

I usually make my own, but, if I am looking for a solid color the only place really around for me is Joann's, and even though I have one of their super-stores nearby the choices are pretty limited
    Lynne

One does what one can with what one has!!
    Quilted Blessings, Lois

I have only ever made my own...

Blog Entries
    Do you use straight or bias binding? I only use straight, it holds up well and is soooo much easier to make.
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Quote Originally Posted by Mandie View Post
    I loathe making my own binding. I have been searching for a good place to by binding bty any ideas?
    Just wondering why you loathe making binding? It's really not difficult although it can be a little time consuming, true, but for me that is just part of the process. I want to use the same quality materials in my binding as I put in my quilt because the binding is going to take a beating (hopefully if the quilt is used). Personally, I find that premade binding that some places sell to feel chintzy, but that's just my opinion.

I'm with you I make my own. I would avoid the the satin premade one. Too bad you don't quilt with anyone cause maybe you could trade off. If they dont like cutting you could cut a project for them and they could make your binding! I use bias binding on all mine, just the way I was taught.
    *Rachel*

Blog Entries
    I was thinking the same. Its so easy to make binding. Just 2 1/2 inch strip/sew together and iron...and you do not have to iron it if yu do not want to. I have done both and they both look fine. I did buy binding once from Joanns with a 5- percent off coupon. Looked and felt fine.

Blog Entries
    what is it about making binding that you find so---loathsome?
    maybe we could give you some tips that would make the process easier for you-
    personally i can not imagine spending money on binding-on line- how would you know it is going to actually go with your quilt? colors can be so different- i would find it horribly distressing to order what i (thought) was going to be the right color- to recieve it and find it's the wrong shade...and it might not be made from the same quality of fabrics as i've used in my quilt-...and what about pre=shrinking the fabric? if you've pre-washed the fabrics in your quilt= then decide to not use those fabrics for your binding- and you buy your binding from somewhere- how's the quilt going to be when it gets washed and only the binding shrinks??? just my thoughts...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Banned
    Check eBay ..... fairly decent prices there plus a large variety of print and color choices.

Blog Entries
    I like making my own binding. I feel its one of the best parts of the project because it's the finishing part. Making and putting binding on is fun.

i have only made my own. time consuming but easy.

I make my own to get a better selection color wise.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady-T View Post
    Check eBay ..... fairly decent prices there plus a large variety of print and color choices.
    I should have mentioned that I do make my own. Very easy. but for those who don't like making binding eBay has a lot of choices.

Beverly's is where I go. Be aware that bindings have changed a lot in recent years. I have some older ones (same old brand as the new) and they are thin!!! My dh came home with some when I asked him to pick it up for me. I've decided to keep him anyway..

i dont mind any part of binding
    Nancy

Only make my own. I sure will check out all your sugesstions as binding is not my favorate thing to do.

Banned
    it never occurs me to buy binding as it is too expensive vs making your own which matches the quilt. Per inch or yard is is very expensive. The commercial binding is not double folded so doesn't wear well.

Interesting, I usually make my own binding and always to much. It has come in handy recently. I started making these little "pillowcase" dresses that go to tropical countries for the poorest of poor little girls. The idea is to cover them so that men will not use them for their own "low" purposes. Somehow wearing a dress makes them less likely to be molested. I quickly went through my stash of odd pillowcases and began making them from my quilting and sewing stash. They are very simple and the armholes are bound and finished off with strings to tie in a bow on the shoulders. I found that when I used a print fabric for the dress I preferred a solid color binding. I have been purchasing premade quilt binding from Joanns etc. and cutting it in half down the center. That allows me to get at least three sets of bindings for the dresses out of each package of comercial binding.
    I recently started to try and purchase only items made in America. I was very disappointed when all of the binding in Joanns was clearly marked "made in China". I guess I will go back to making my own for the dresses.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

I only make my own-easier to sew with that bought binding
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

I think some of the fabric manufacturer's are making binding now - I just saw a tutorial and they have binding at Riley Blake designs. Sure would be a time saver.

Have you tried the Simplicity Bias Tape Machine. No more burning your fingers with the iron. :-) Makes making binding a joy.

make my own too, making it is the easy part, is it the sewing it down that you loathe

Just cut strips of one of the fabrics in my quilt.

Why pay someone else to cut strips for you?
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
    I think some of the fabric manufacturer's are making binding now - I just saw a tutorial and they have binding at Riley Blake designs. Sure would be a time saver.
    I can make my own binding in the time it takes you to order yours.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast