Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Major mistake quilting

Blog Entries

Unhappy Major mistake quilting

I have been sewing for thirty years and my husband just bought me a new viking sapphire a few months ago. I was free motion quilting for the first time and hit a safety pin. Tryed to sew with machine after that and it kept breaking needles. Took machine to repair shop and repairman said I bent the shaft on it, the timing is off and he would have to order some parts for it. I was trying to keep my fabric flat as I quilted instead of watching for safety pins. I have five quilts I need to quilt by xmas. Probably won't be done by then now. I really am upset about the whole thing. Has anyone else ever done anything like this?

so sorry about your machine
    Nancy

linda

I hope you get your machine back fast. I haven't had that happen, but can't say it won't. Have also been sewing for over thirty years, And would be lost without my machines. I use an old singer 66-16 for quilting can't beat them.. I'm still learning the free motion stuff doing table runners and table cloths and wall hangings for practice. The larger quilts I take to a LA. Most machines could possibly take hitting a stick pin, but a safety pin is another story. I'm saying a prayer that you will get the machine back in time to get your projects done.

Good Luck

Suzy

I have not, but have broken needles on regular pins. I have a fear of damaging the machine by that very thing

Thanks for the reminder to be diligent watching for pins!
    I hope the repair doesn't take too long or cost too much.

How frustrating. I hope you get the machine back quickly.

Quilting is my therapy

Haven't hit a pin, but was even dumber, forgot to change out a foot and did zig-zag stitch and hit the foot that shouldn't have been there. So I too bent the shaft on my Viking Emerald....I got it back with-in a few days but the cost was nasty!! Good Luck Linda, hopefully quick and not to expensive fix! ~deb~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    wow..are the shafts made of TIn foil???....how can then bend so easily..and on such spendy machines...sorry to hear that....

Blog Entries
    I quit using pins after I ruined my brand new Bernina walking foot (pricey accessory!) on one. The pin caught on the back of the foot and I didn't see it in time. It straightened out the spring inside the foot so the foot stopped working.

Now I spray baste all my quilts!!! Faster and easier than pin basting, plus I will never ruin another foot on a pin!

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry that your machine is hurting.  Wish you were closer as I would lend you one of mine since you have a deadline.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

I did not do it but my sister did it to my Mom's machine while she was out of town. I get this frantic call , she tells me she went over to use Mom's machine while she was out of the country and ... did the same thing. She wanted me to tell her how to fix it before Mom got back in about 24 hours. Well .... lets just say , there was no magic fairy dust , to make it "better".

Ouch! I'm so sorry you have such an expensive boo-boo to deal with. Hopefully, they'll have it repaired real quick and you can get back to quilting.

I like the fine fabric tagging guns for basting instead of safety pins - they're so flimsy and so tiny that I don't think they would cause even a little bit of trouble for even a delicate mechanism. They're a pain in the neck to remove, but if you do sew over one (which I've done many times! ops: ) all you have to do is snip the tag along both sides of the stitching and you can remove the tag.

I just sewed the plastic head on a flower pin into a paper-pieced block last night.

I am very grateful that my 1947 Singer could sew through a plank if necessary and not cause herself a trip to the hospital - but boy, I sure hate making a mistake like that.

Wow, what a disappointment. My Babylock is in the shop for between 2-3 weeks. Thankfully ingot a loaner, but boy.. What a time ofnyear to be without a machine.
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

Power Poster
    That made me sick to my stomach just reading your post. I hope it isn't out too long for repairs and that it doesn't cost too much. I've hit a pin and broken a needle on a wrong foot and felt sick at the time. Luckily it didn't mess up the timing or my machine but I can just imagine how you feel right now. Sending you a hug and best wishes for your injured machine.

I used to have only 1 machine. The one I got for my 16th birthday over 40 years ago. It quit sewing and I was in the middle of a project with a deadline. Got a new one and decided at that point I had to have 2 machines. I have more than that now but never just 1 again. Sewing time is just too precious.
    Robin

Once you use Sharon Schambers method you'll never use pins again. She has several videos on youtube.

Yikes. This is why I prefer to thread baste. It might take a bit longer but I don't have to worry
    about pins going under the needle. Plus it's easier on my hands.
    Same when I'm piecing. I pin a good inch away from the edge so it doesn't hit the needle or the
    presser foot. I know some use tacking and that's also good.

Hope your baby is fixed and home soon.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

major mistake

I hit a pin with my one year old Viking Sapphire last week! Broke the needle but did not damage the machine. I also destroyed a brand new 1/4" foot by not checking the needle position first. Guess I really lucked out when I hit that pin. I have 4 backup machines just in case my Viking ever quits on me.

Blog Entries
    I hope the warranty covers any damages for you, and since the machine is only a few months old, would they not give you a loaner. I have a Viking Sapphire as well, and although I haven't hit any pins with her, my thread cutting blade is in the bottom of the machine somewhere. Good luck and I hope it is a speedy repair for your machine.
    Quilting is my PASSION not my pass time.
    If Your DREAMS don"t Scare You...Then They Are NOT Big Enough!!!Dare to DREAM!

www.quilterella.ca

I think that's why some spray baste

So sorry about your machine.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear about your machine- hope you get it back quickly. I am always afraid of hitting the pins and have something terrible happen to my machine. Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    oh my, while you wait remove those safety pins and thread baste in those areas. and FMQ slower!

Yikes..just the thought makes me want to cry for you.......hate when we do things in haste or just forget absent mindly....but we are not perfect and we learn from our crazy mistakes...so step back and hope that your machine gets fixed quickly so you can return to your sewing.....I have a question couldnt they lend you a machine until yours was being fixed?.......I have two machines and trust me when one gets ill the other does the work so you may want to think about buying a less expensive machine for times like this.....god bless.....Trish
    P.S.........dont use pins while your on your sewing machine.....I use fabric glue its not permanent but who cares its safer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast