making your own extension table? >

making your own extension table?

making your own extension table?

Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by katier825
Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i made this and it is awesome!!!
I'm curious, did you round the edges somehow so the quilt doesn't catch? I have a plexiglass extension and my quilts get caught up on it in the front.
no need to.

unlike the previous pic i did not wrap mine like a christmas present.

my foam extension table is about 5 feet long and i use a vinyl table cloth over it.

this way the vinyl table cloth falls off the table on all 3 sides. this provides a slick surface not only on the table but also down each side.

this is how it was set up in the video and i think its because the quilt slides easy from every position and angle with absolutely no drag.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
i made this and it is awesome!!!
I'm curious, did you round the edges somehow so the quilt doesn't catch? I have a plexiglass extension and my quilts get caught up on it in the front.
no need to.

unlike the previous pic i did not wrap mine like a christmas present.

my foam extension table is about 5 feet long and i use a vinyl table cloth over it.

this way the vinyl table cloth falls off the table on all 3 sides. this provides a slick surface not only on the table but also down each side.

this is how it was set up in the video and i think its because the quilt slides easy from every position and angle with absolutely no drag.
so you don't need anything to hold the vinyl in place? i just now got to the videos (access is blocked from my work ~ how dare they! LOL) i think i'm going to home deopt or lowes and see what they have. thanks for the input! :)
Old 05-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Banned

when you cut the slot for your sewing machine to slide into the foam (use the free arm to measure the cut) i taped the vinyl table cloth on the sides of that slot.

i placed the table cloth over the foam, slit it down the middle of that slot and then taped it down with duct tape all along the inside sides of that slot.

this way the machine can slide into the foam without disrupting the vinyl table cloth.

then i have a supreme slider which i place over the free arm of my sewing machine. the supreme slider is a teflon 8.5 by 11 sheet that makes the transition from foam to free arm seamless.

it doesn't look very pretty but it works beautiful. i'm quilting a king size quilt on it and it moves with total ease. i never would have been able to do that before. i'm more concerned with things working well then how they look.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:20 PM

Hi LindaR,

Here's a write up about that cheap sewing/quilting table with a few photos. I love the adaptations of using contact paper and I also heard of quilters using a "dollar store" shower curtain instead of buying the clear vinyl.

http://www.squidoo.com/sewingtable

Originally Posted by LindaR
I can't get videos...grrrr...would love to see this "sigh"
Best Wishes, Marguerita :)