Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MAKING YOUR OWN TEMPLATES

Does anyone make their own templates (out of template plastic)? You can buy it at Joann's etc.. what Im curious about is does anyone have one of those stencil/template cutter things, kinda looks like a soldering iron..and if you have one, how do you like it? simple to use??

Power Poster
    I've made my own templates.

If they have straight edges, I use my rotary cutter and ruler to cut them.

If they have curved edges, I cut them out with a scissors.

Don't have a template cutter, so can't offer any comments about them.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    you do better with an exacto knife!

I make my own using either rotary cutter, scissors, or exacto. Often thought of the template cutting tool but never took the plunge to try one.

I have had my template/stencil tool for close to 30 years. In that time, it has been wonderful to make special/one of a kind stencils for friends and families. It has allowed to create unique designs that can't be purchased. I don't use it as much now as I have in the past but it has been well worth the investment and doesn't owe me a dime should it quit.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I've made my own templates.

If they have straight edges, I use my rotary cutter and ruler to cut them.

If they have curved edges, I cut them out with a scissors.

Don't have a template cutter, so can't offer any comments about them.
    Do you use your rotary cutter with the templates you make? I find they are thin and dangerous to use with the rotary. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thats great. Im going to keep my eye peeled for a good price on one. I wonder if harbor freight might have one.. will have to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by jdiane318
    I have had my template/stencil tool for close to 30 years. In that time, it has been wonderful to make special/one of a kind stencils for friends and families. It has allowed to create unique designs that can't be purchased. I don't use it as much now as I have in the past but it has been well worth the investment and doesn't owe me a dime should it quit.

Blog Entries
    I use my stencil tool all the time. I also have the Clover iron with interchangeable tips and it has a stencil tip also. I use a picture frame with the glass in it and lay the plastic on top when cutting the stencil. Keeps me from burning something accidentally!

I use my stencil cutting tool and it works wonderfully. Great for making quilting stencils. I always put glass underneath it when I'm using it. I use it for stencils when I'm making them for stencil painting also.

Do you use your rotary cutter with the templates you make? I find they are thin and dangerous to use with the rotary. Any advice would be appreciated!

no you do not use your templates like they are a ruler--you are right that would be very dangerous!
    you can place the template then put your ruler over it and cut- or you can trace around it (normal template use) then line your ruler up on the lines and cut- or trace around your template and use scissors to cut out your pieces.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast