Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Margin of Error Question >

Margin of Error Question

Margin of Error Question

Old 06-17-2014, 04:30 PM

I second the vote for the screw on metal seam guide. Your FW will have a hole for one just as my 301s do. I can't sew a decent straight seam without it. I will use the 1/4 foot on my next quilt because it will have curved seams. Your strip looks good. Just be sure to match the corners when you sew the next strip to that one.
April1930sshoppe has everything you need for a FW.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:57 PM

seams will get better as you make more a more quilts, for simple patterns consistency is key for more complex patterns you will need to have good seam allowance so as your skills grow you will not have to worry as much
Old 06-17-2014, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

I'm sorry but don't really see the problem where the arrows point. So I'd say you are fine. When I first started, I couldn't do a 1/4" seam BUT my seams were consistent. If you use the same measurement, and you iron the rows in alternate directions, your seams will match nicely. Fabric has a bit of "give" so there is a bit of room for adjustment. It is a great beginner pattern.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:22 AM

Your strip looks fine to me.

I agree consistency is key. My 1/4 inch will not be your 1/4 inch - and if I am working on a big project where I want accuracy I do not change machines.

A piece of masking tape on your machine stuck at 1/4 inch might work as a guide - we used to do that with Kids in 4H
Old 06-18-2014, 03:50 AM

If I had to be perfect when I sew I would have to find another hobby. lol
Old 06-18-2014, 04:16 AM

Experience will give you more consistency. I don't think one should be so determined to be perfect that they take the fun out of quilting! Unless you are going to enter the most perfection oriented quilt shows, most quilts are meant to keep someone warm and comforted and they will NOT be checking to see if every seam is perfect.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

First of all....don't ever be afraid to ask a question. I have learned bunches by asking things here. Also, I started quilting in 1992 and have yet to achieve the perfect 1/4 inch seam. I figure, if I am the making all of them, then they will match. I am thinking that you will be just fine.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:52 AM

I think for this quilt you are just fine...as long as you are consistantly a little off of 1/4". The suggestions above for helping you maintain a 1/4" seam are very good. I have used the sticky notes myself.
I also have used a magnetic seam guide, but only if you don't have a computerized machine.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:38 AM

I've found that the edges that you have arrows are easily covered in the long seam joining the blocks. What has been more problematic for me is matching the seams if the 1/4 is not consistent. If your seam is consistent, you shouldn't have a problem. The bigger problem comes if you don't get an accurate 1/4 and are using a pattern that is comprised of different sized pieces. The designer will be assuming your 1/4" seam is accurate, and if yours varies by very much (even though it may not have an impact on simple block piecing like this quilt ), it will show up very quickly in another quilt. So, at the risk or sounding "quilt police-y", they to get your 1/4" as accurate as you can before you start to take on harder projects and are more frustrated. I think lots of us at times just say " the heck with it" and put it together however it goes, and at other times try for more precision. It will serve you in the long run, though, if you know what is precise and what isn't. Good luck with your quilting!!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:29 AM

Why are you hesitant?When I got my featherweight,someone had written on it with magic marker.It just wiped right off.No one said stick it all over.Just along a line that markes 1/4 in..Bonnie Hunter uses command strips.They are the sticky strips that you would apply to a hook and put it on your wall.To remove pull down on the soft stuff and it releases.I have an old machine,20 years,and I have used it.It is not abused,but used.If you put masking tape or painters tape on your machine and there's sticky residue after you remove the tape,just use a little machine oil,baby oil,olive oil....on a cotton ball and it will come right off.Your Featherweight has a Japan finish.It is stronger then car paint.Don't abuse just use.