Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Marking a Black Quilt Top

I use the white chalk also

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeneK View Post
    I love, LOVE, LOVE this idea (tho I must admit I haven't tried it yet). Was watching a Quilt Show video today and Ricky Tims was showing his machine quilting tips. Actually he shared this at the quilt seminar in Atlanta too. He drew his design on a stabilizer - affixed to the back of the quilt top -- then used water soluable thread in both top and bobbin. Stitched from the back over the drawn design, removed the stabilizer, made the quilt sandwich, and the design was right there on top to stitch over. When the quilt was finished, just soak in water and all the water soluable thread is gone.
    This is really an interesting idea, but it sounds kind of expensive (stabilizer and water soluble thread). Maybe on a small piece ....

White chalk works great for me. I did a king-sized quit that had lots of black as the background, and white chalk did the trick for me.
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
    I use the Clover fine line white marker. The marks stay until they're quilted, and come off with washing or ironing - and they don't come back. It takes a few seconds for to be able to see the lines develop.

I marked crosshatching on my latest quilt - I did the marking over a year ago and I can still see the lines (I'm hand quilting). I can't really see them once I quilted over them.

Janet

I also use this marker. I use it with machine applique to mark the edge of the dark piece when it is on another dark piece so I can see the edge to follow.
    Debbie
    Machine It

I too use slivers of leftover bar soap. When I'm done, a damp washrag removes the markings.

Blog Entries
    The bar soap is one of my means of transfers, as are the wash-out pens from Wal-Mart. One end is Purple for using and it doesn't last long on the fabric. The Blue end stays until washed. Never had a problem with either.
    Also inexpensive.
    Mariah.
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

This is what I use also. (white marking pen, FINE from Clover)
    Last edited by mimiof4; 03-24-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: didn't get it finished.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3