Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marking the Quilt before of after sandwiching layers?

Instructions always say mark your quilt before putting the layers together. I mark prior to sandwiching the layers if I need the light box to mark the design on the quilt, otherwise many times I mark as I go after the layers are put together and as I hand quilt, especially if it is a cut stencil or just straight lines.

What do most of you do and is there a good reason to mark everything prior to putting the layers together?

Well depending on whether you pin or baste it the fabric will not be easy to lie flat unless you mark first. Ask me how I know this... LOL!

Mostly I use chalk or dissapearing ink so marking before does not work.

After since I generally use chalk pencils or cut stencils and markings would not last anytime at all if I did it before. So mark as I go.

Thanks. I think marking after is also fine, unless as I mentioned before you have to use a light box for a certain pattern. I too use chalk which definitely does not stay on, in fact I am constantly rechalking. I have been quilting for years and do both, but was just curious. I think in instructions for new quilters they should mention that you might need to mark after layering.

I always mark after. Using disappearing ink or white pencil I have to.

Banned
    i mark my entire quilt before.

i use ultimate quilters pounce and either i pin baste or load the quilt onto my quilting frame.

sometimes i do both.

I've been marking afterwards, but I'm not that experienced, either. When I do straight line quilting, like cross hatching, I just use painters tape, and reposition as I go. I use air erase pens for stencils, and so far have not had any problems.

Great topic! Nice to see what others are doing. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I just recently learned a new way to not NOT mark the quilt top. It's from Charlotte Warr Anderson's new book One Line at a Time. She explains how to use the 8 1/2 x 11 removable labels to put on the quilt and quilt using those as guides. I didn't even know they made removable labels this size. They can be printed on too!

I find it easiest to mark before sandwhiching. The quilting lines get destorted once the batting is added. If I am going to crosshatch I just use painters or masking tape. Sometimes I mark as I quilt if it is a very small area and I am using the purple pen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast