Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Marking Quilts

Blog Entries
    Who could tell me the best ways to mark a quilt? Any help would be appreciated.

A little more information would be needed to answer your question.

In marking a quilt, are you meaning to actually mark a design on it to follow, they have pens/pencils out that you use templates with to mark a design to follow to quilt or make up your design. The pen/pencil markings will wash out or depending on the type will disappear.

So marking quilts for what?

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-14864-1.htm see if this link will answer your questions.

Blog Entries
    I've used various methods to mark my quilt tops for quilting. I've used Golden Threads paper with the design drawn on it; have also used a product called Quilt on a Roll - not sure if this is the correct title - but it is paper with adhesive strips and the pattern pre-printed. The only drawback to these two methods is the task of picking out all the paper when you are finished!

I just ordered a product made by Bohin called a transfer veil and pen - which looks like it may work nicely for marking a pattern. Hope this helps!

Blog Entries
    For dark fabric, my favorite is a sliver of used white bar soap.

I tried using translucent paper once, sewing the design through the paper, but did not like all the tiny pieces of paper I had to pick out of the stitching afterwards. A different type of paper might work better, but I've stayed away from that method ever since.

Blog Entries
    I use a quilter's silver pencil for dark fabrics and a fine, hard-lead pencil (art pencil) for light fabrics.

I mark mine for quilting with a pounce pad and a stencil.

Blog Entries
    I usually use a white chaco liner but I have an older one-I think I read some of the new ones don't come out easily. I have a yellow one that I bought recently and tested it and I couldn't get it to brush out like I can the white. I've used tape but I don't like it.