Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking your quilts. >

Marking your quilts.

Marking your quilts.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:16 PM

I use the Frixion pens and have had great results. I know people say that can leave a mark if they get cold but that is not a problem where I live. They are easy to use and easy to remove.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by CharlotteO View Post
I haven't been quilting very long, and have only done basic quilting. I am planning on doing more quilting and would like to know the favorite tools you use to mark, and how you remove them. From the internet research I've done, I am more confused than ever.

Chalk - difficult to remove
Quilt markers - difficult to remove,
Pouncers - chalk=difficult t remove
Special markers - some get set on permanently if you press your piecing

My mom suggested soap slivers - get small ones from hotels, or cut one up but obviously test it on your fabric before proceeding. I also ran across something called soapstone pencils, anyone tried these.
Tailors Chalk - how easy is it to remove.

I love this board, and spend way too much time on here, but knew this would be the place to ask questions about markers and ways to remove them.

Thank you for any and all information.
I used Tailor's chalk one time in pink and couldn't get a lot of it out, even went to quilt shop and they tried to help me but still have some marks that remained.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by quilting in my60s View Post
I used Tailor's chalk one time in pink and couldn't get a lot of it out, even went to quilt shop and they tried to help me but still have some marks that remained.
P.S. I use Frixion pens also. The only time I had problems was when I mark a dark red and when I ironed it a very faint light color (like it had bleached it out) was showing. If you can use white marker, the one by Clover called "Fine Marking Pen" gets lots of good reports from other quilting friends. Hope these suggestions help!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:31 AM

If you wash the quilt, the "white" lines from the frixion will disappear.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:42 PM

I recommend Crayola washable markers for kids. They have a nice thin point, easy to find, decent price,and they always wash out of the fabric for me. I use them on fabric that has been washed previously and have ironed over the marks many times and never have any issue washing the marks out. The only markers I use on fabric any more.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 PM

I like frixion pens, but also have never had a problem with water soluable pens, YOu can get a nice fine line with them
Old 01-31-2014, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post
Clover's Chaco markers are by far, my favorite marking tools. I have them in every color. The ratchet system makes delivery of the chalk smooth and effortlessly. They never leave residue on any fabric. Once you try them, you will never go back to using pencil type markers.

http://www.clover-usa.com/product/69..._/Chaco_Liners
These are my favorites, too. The mark glides on so easily, and comes off as it should. I also use the Miracle Chalk in the pounce pad, but only the white powder. I have the blue powder for light fabrics, but had a hard time removing it once, so no more of that. Now if I need to mark a white or light fabric, I use the white Miracle Chalk mixed with blacklight chalk, which is also white, but glows fluorescent green under a blacklight.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by hybearn8er View Post
Sharon Shamber uses frixon pens and even tells you how to remove them.If she feels they are safe enough for her quilts that win big bucks in competitions then I can trust it for mine!
Keep in mind that she, along with many other competitive show quilters, will use whatever will work for their needs on the quilt they are creating for the sole purpose of winning at the competition. Often there is no consideration to what will happen to that quilt over time. Sometimes the winner's monetary award is a "purchase award", (as it is with some awards at Paducah, KY), which means they are purchasing that quilt from the maker. Not much incentive for the quilter to worry about what will happen to that quilt over time as a result of the products used to create it.