Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking your quilts. >

Marking your quilts.

Marking your quilts.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:20 AM

I think that I have purchased about every known marking item known to quiltinghood. That being said, I still return to my favorite for dark fabrics, soap slivers. For light fabrics I use mechanical pencils, left over from my accounting days, with 0.5mm hb leads. I did find that the Sewline mechanical pencils quit working after a bit of use.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 AM

Let's face it. Everyone who has tried markers has an opinion on how they work, experts and novices alike. My thought is to question the use of the quilt. Is this an heirloom gift that will probably never be washed? Or is it a baby/lap quilt that could be washed under fairly harsh conditions every week? Test the marker you want to use on scrap fabric, then decide. So many of these products have been very recently developed, so don't have the advantage of long term evaluation. If I were making an heirloom quilt, I'd be inclined to stick with something that might be a little more difficult in the short term but will hold up better long term. Something that will be used and washed regularly may wash out any residual chemical before it can do any long term damage. All that being said, you have to do what you are comfortable with. Joyce in DE
Old 01-09-2014, 08:18 AM

I've never had a problem with the Pounce chalk. I use a Velcro-type lint brush to just brush it off after I'm done.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:54 AM

I use the pounce method. A old cotton sock filled with corn starch. Make my pattern on paper and sew the lines to make holes. Of course, I'm not too fancy and am financially cautious.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:18 AM

I use Roxanne's Quilters Choice white chalk pencils to mark, I don't iron after marking and wash my quilts after binding. For light fabrics I use a disappearing ink marking pen. that I buy at Hancocks or Hobby Lobby in sewing dept, usually in purple. Both of these wash out completely. In fact the purple marker fades completely if I wait too long before sewing and then I have to re-mark.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 AM

I've had good luck with Crayola washable watercolor markers. I hate straining to see a marked quilting line and these I can see fine. Of course, I have to launder the finished quilt. HTH
Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 PM

I also use Crayola Washable Markers and have never had a problem with them not washing out.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by brandeesmom View Post
I also use Crayola Washable Markers and have never had a problem with them not washing out.
Have you ever used a black washable marker on white, or a very light fabric? I would love to really be able to see my lines.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 PM

I have a big pile of fabric markers I am not very happy with any of them. I tend to use the Bohin ceramic pencil a lot. My favorite is my Frixion pens. I was told to wash my quilts with Orvis soap and that it will remove the chemical residue from the pens. My biggest problem is most of my quilts are made with both dark and light fabric. I hate switching colors of markers constantly as the fabric color changes. I have only used the Frixion pens on light fabrics. I use my Clover rolling chalk liner sometimes. If someone would make something that really works to mark quilts they could make a fortune.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:13 PM

I've used the Crayola markers, and not had a problem. Usually light or dark blue on white or unbleached muslin.

I've used the disappearing blue markers, they sometimes disappear without water, and they can be permanent if they're exposed to heat (even the sun, I'm told)

I've used chalk, and never had a problem with removal. A little kitty bum takes it off every time. Usually before I get to the quilting.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455709[/ATTACH]
That one had a chalked stencil in the middle of it. Not after she was done with it.

Seriously though, the bohin chalk markers are my current favorite.
Attached Thumbnails kittybum2.jpg  

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 01-09-2014 at 05:15 PM.