Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marshall's Batting for Donation Quilts >

Marshall's Batting for Donation Quilts

Marshall's Batting for Donation Quilts

Old 07-24-2016, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by quilt9226 View Post
The Soft & Crafty batting (48" wide) available at JoAnn Fabrics is 4 oz and it works great for quilts although I do not buy it anymore since the price has almost doubled. Many of the quilts we quilt are flannel, both pieced top and back, and it works well on the longarm. So one ounce more should not make that much of a difference. We rarely quilt small quilts on a DSM but we use a 4 oz batting if we have it. We are quilting quilts for a nonprofit and have become scroungers for batting and purchase batting at thrift stores and rummage sales for the small quilts (we have approximately 100 crib/small tops to be quilted. We use Soft & Brite or Hobbs 80/20 for the larger quilts.
I also use The Soft & Crafty from JoAnn Fabrics and like it. Always try to buy with a coupon or on sale at 50% off. Use it for charity quilts at church.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ansew View Post
Yes, Walmart is certainly on my radar as they have free shipping on most roll batting over $50 and the 80/20 is a great price. I thought maybe the polyester might have a higher loft---not something an inch, but maybe something along the lines of a bedspread like in a hotel/motel.
I've gotten some really good deals at WalMart on batting. I use it in my quilts. Can't beat free shipping.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:36 PM

misseva---yes, they(walmart), is starting to look better and better---a few more phone calls to make in the next few days in order to make a decision.